Hoping for some in-ear sound advice!

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Samuraihifi, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Samuraihifi

Samuraihifi New Member

After countless months of researching the Internet, visiting forums such as what-hifi, headfonia & headfonics & youtube etc I find myself in a position of undecided confusion.

I’m currently looking to upgrade & venture into what I hope will be a higher level of audio quality starting foremost with a pair of IEMs. In the past I’ve restricted my budget to around the £60 mark & consisting of the usual suspects from Sennheiser, Soundmagic & Sony.

My budget currently, although not huge, is around £150 & here’s my dilemma. I listen to all my music portably via my iPhone 5s (Shortly upgrading to iPhone 6) & my iPod classic (Last generation I think!) & I’m wondering if I would see any great benefits from purchasing IEM’s at this price range?

Music is my life & I listen to a wide variety. However I do have a real passion for distinctive voices particular favorites being Joanna Newsome, Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens & Serge Gainsberg etc.

Something that I’ve never had before & hope to achieve is a sound that I can immerse myself in, something that is expansive & detailed.

From the research I’ve done I‘ve put together an extensive list based on sound signature, comfort & design. From this I’ve been very much drawn to RHA & in particular the MA750i & the T10i. The Apple controls although being useful are not a deal breaker. Although I love the design & functionality of the T10i I’m a little concerned from what I’ve read that they may be a little too bass heavy for my taste.

Anyway I would be hugely grateful for any advice or suggestions offered.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Apologies for my rather cheesy heading & hope those who do read this will not judge me for it!!!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

RHA-750 I have reviewed, and highly recommended! I haven't heard the T10i but I want one (hoping for the opportunity soon). The key with the RHA's is getting a perfect fit, because tone accuracy and quality depend on it. I think RHA supplies a lot of eartips, but consider additional eartips if the RHA's aren't perfect.

3. Samuraihifi

Samuraihifi New Member

Hi dalethorn

Firstly apologies for not responding sooner & huge Thank You for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I have to say I have read/watched quite a number of your reviews, recommendations & videos that I’ve enjoyed very much. I recently purchased the Edifier H850 that you recommended just as secondary pair of headphone, have been really enjoying them. As you hinted on the possibility of audition the T10’s I may just hold off for a while & see what you think of them ☺

Actually, one of the reasons I’m considering the 750’s is down to the brilliant review you gave them. I had hoped to audition both pairs this weekend at my local Apple store but unfortunately that wasn’t a possibility. However I did get to see them finally & they look amazing.

Thanks for the advice regarding fit. I have read that this makes a huge difference so thought that I would try them first & then purchase some Comply tips as these appear popular choice from the reviews I’ve read.

I’ve also been considering an external Dac/Amp & wondered if at this stage it would be necessary. The Fiio E17k looks like a good option but also have my eye on the beautiful OPPO HA-2 that I could purchase at a later date. I’ve also read that it’s not recommended to use headphones/IEM’s that have controls/mic with an external amp so wondered if it’s better to purchase the RHA’s without this option.

Anyway, again a huge Thank You for responding.

PS. In my previous message I realized that I hadn’t mentioned Hifi Headphones in my list of sites that I had visited as I found the forum & reviews really helpful so just wanted to give them a heads up.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I suppose that the Oppo could drive the 750 just fine on Low Gain, but from what player?

5. Samuraihifi

Samuraihifi New Member

I would predominantly be using them with my iPod classic & the iPhone 6. I suppose they would drive the headphones just fine, which is why I wondered if I would gain anything by adding a dac/Amp at this stage.

I’m probably getting a little ahead of myself as all I’m really looking for at this stage is a great set of IEM’s & If I spend a bit more than usual would I see a big difference in sound quality from the devices I’m using + maybe some recommendations.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The iPhone6 internal amps are much improved over the iPhone5 and previous versions, so while there would be a slight improvement with the Oppo (not with the FiiO), you'd have to spend some time training yourself to hear the difference.

BTW, the FiiO will not act as a DAC to the iPhone, which the Oppo does do.

7. delicate-nancy

delicate-nancy New Member

I like the T10i's

The RHA T10i's sound great and what I personally use. They are rated highly by many headphones review experts like PricenFees http://www.pricenfees.com/best-headphones-under-200.html and other sources including Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2014/11/23/rha-t10i-review/ I'm a bass head and these IEMs don't disappoint - at the same time I don't think they're overly bassy when its not needed. I think one of my favorite things about these is their material they are made with (not just some cheap plastic casing - stainless steel). Just holding them in your hands makes you feel like they are very high-quality. Hope that helps you out a little =)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
    dalethorn likes this.
  8. krismusic

krismusic Member

I would put all your budget into headphones. The iPhone is an excellent source.

dalethorn likes this.
  9. Steve-HiFi

Steve-HiFi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, the greater improvement is gained by the headphones - just be aware of the sensitivity and impedance as some harder to drive headphones will require an amp.

dalethorn likes this.