HTC Desire Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by SRPG, Oct 28, 2011.

1. SRPG

SRPG New Member

Hi, I have an HTC Desire mobile phone which I use as an mp3 player for at least 3 or 4 hours a day and obviously as a phone all day. After having 2 sets of sennheiser CX 680i malfunction and trying various in ear models such as the Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones I discovered my tiny ear canals just can’t cope I am trying to find an alternative.

My main requirement is the best sound quality I can get for around the £100 mark (I can be a bit flexible on price if the extra is worth it), mainly for listening to my high bit rate mp3s on my desire and also listening to my Hi-Fi or TV amp when my other half has gone to bed early. Secondly the ability to act as a headset for my desire when out and about would be great.

I have spent ages investigating various models with a mic included either via Bluetooth, or in line such as the Philips O'Neill SHO9565BK The Stretch Headband Headphones, which is very new and now includes a mic, or the Klipsch Image ONE

I have read threads such as "Portable(ish) Headphones for £100-£150?"
    and "Closed Back Headphone Recommendations" I seem to be leaning towards a closed back full size model rather than an on-ear version, such as the SRH 840, (the replaceable cable appeals), or the German MAESTRO GMP 8.300 D, the AKG K-271 mkII, or the Audio Technica ATH-M50, is impedance an issue considering the desire is hardly a powerhouse, would I need an headphone amp?

I have also thought about some kind of adapter to turn a normal set of headphones into a headset such as the Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth, any other advice on this method would be great.

Sorry if this a bit long but I’d appreciate any help you can offer.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi SRPG

To me it seems like you have managed to fit in a decent amount of research and you are right in the middle of where you should be. All the headphones you mention are great and would work well - it is just a case of narrowing it down.

Please feel free to ask me very specific questions about the models you like best.:D

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

@SRPG: Just wanted to mention that the German MAESTRO GMP 8.300 D is 300 Ohms, so will definitely need an amp (the GMP 8.35 D is 35 Ohms and more suitable for an HTC Desire).

All the others you mention will be fine with a phone.

4. SRPG

SRPG New Member

Further updates

Hi Robin, Thanks for the reply, after using my old (very old) closed back headphones with my Desire for the last couple of days I have decided that I probably need 2 separate headphones one for mobile use and one for home HiFi/TV use, due not only to the long thick cable but also the bulkiness of a pair of full size headphones and probable rain damage. This is unless there is a good quality pair of full size headphones that have both a short cable and are very compact.

Assuming that does not exist; for the mobile/sports set I keep coming back to the sennheiser MX 680i as they have an inline mic and have the fins to hold them in the ears, which I found to work quite well, the only down side is their reliability, I sent 2 pairs back in the summer and my previous sennheiser earphones (similar to the MX 680i just without the in line mic and circles instead of fins to hold them in place) barely lasted a year before the cable connector malfunctioned. If you can suggest any alternatives with better reliability or sound quality I would appreciate it.

As far as the home HiFi/TV set goes I’m more open to ideas, all I concerned with is sound quality for closed backs these 3 seem to come up most often on the forum; Audio Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT770 & Shure SRH840 as far as open back goes the only obvious one I've seen is the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. Do they all have low Impedance?

I listen to all sorts of music form bass heavy dance, thru rock to classical, I am usually on my own when listening at home so noise leak not really an issue, not really sure about open vs closed, with my musical tastes and avid HD movie watching which do you think would be best and so what of my suggestions or ones of your own would you suggest?

Many Thanks, Steve

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Steve

The AT AD700 would be a fantastic choice for watching HD movies, they have an excellent sense of space and are super comfy to wear. With your eclectic tastes you will always struggle to find the perfect set of cans, headphones which work perfectly for Dance music will probably not work well for classical.

If you want them to be portable too then the AT M50 will do a good job with most genres as they are quite balanced with a bit of a leaning toward the bottom end. These will not be as spacial as the AD700 but would be great as an all round headphone.:)

6. SRPG

SRPG New Member

Finally made a decision

Hi Robin, Thanks again for advice and an excellent site/forum. I have finally decided to by 2 headphones.

For mobile/mp3 use I am going to give sennheiser another chance (the MX 680i model), as there seems to be nothing else out there, that has a mechanism for holding the buds in place that does not involve ear canals (mine just 2 narrow) or neckbands/ear clips (I wear glasses and find them all really uncomfortable when combined with glasses).

For home HIFI and TV use I have opted for the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, I have read a lot of reviews saying they are light in the bass dept, but I am hoping people had either not burnt them in sufficiently or are massive bass heads which I am definitely not.

Does anybody have any advice on the best type of noise/signal/music and length of time with which to burn them in with? Also does this apply to both headphones or just the ATH-AD700?

I will definitely post a review as soon as I have been using them both for a sufficient amount of time.

Thanks again.

Steve

7. lovely

lovely New Member

HTC Desire Headphones Reply to Thread

The best thing you can do is look for a website that gives detailed reviews and listings of the best headphones available now in the market. I know one the best dj headphone sites. Try to browse it in the net. Hope you can find the one that really suits your budget and needs.