iBasso D2 headphone amp - first photos

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Shaun-HiFi, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Regular visitors to HiFi Headphones may have noticed we've listed the iBasso D2 in our headphone amplifier section. Last week we received a couple of samples from iBasso to test and the results were so positive we went ahead and listed them immediately and put our first order in (we're expecting stock in approx 3 weeks).

Below is a photo of the iBasso D2 with my Sleek Audio SA6's and an old iPod Nano:

[​IMG]

As you may have seen iBasso is already well regarded on Head-fi.org and based on my listening tests for good reason. I've been testing the D2 with my iPod, an old Samsung MP3 player and my laptop. So far I've been rather impressed.

The iBasso D2 works especially well with higher impedance earphones such as the Sleek Audio SA6 and Klipsch Image X10, where there is good improvement in depth of bass, as well as high frequency detail and soundstage. I've yet to test with lower impedance earphones (Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10's, etc), but I would guess the effect is similar, but maybe not so pronounced.

In my opinion the most interesting application for the iBasso D2 is using the DAC with a laptop. With my IBM ThinkPad T62 laptop feeding the D2's DAC and a pair of Sennheiser HD650's the difference in overall sound quality is significant compared with the laptop's standard headphone output. I would say this is the application where the biggest improvement in sound quality is seen.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Shaun-HiFi

iBasso D2 featured at What HiFi? online

Interestingly What HiFi? Sound and Vision magazine seem to be showing an interest in the iBasso D2.

See the news article iBasso combines headphone amplifier and USB DAC in a single portable unit.

It would definitely raise interest in the idea of headphone amps if they reviewed the D2. I see they've recently done reviews of the Musical Fidelity iCan headphone amp.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  3. Ian T

Ian T New Member

iBasso D2 headphone amp - first impressions

Took delivery of one of these yesterday - for me choice was between the very small iBasso T4, this one, and Graham Sleek Voyager. Decided on the Boa because of size and weight, and, frankly, let's be honest - the gorgeous enamel-green finish. Running apple lossless files from my iPod Classic, via Russ Andrews link GQ-Mini Cu 0.5m Mini to Mini Interconnect (very impressed with Kimber cabling - use it on all my home systems), listening on Sony MDR-W08s (ten years old over-the-head-in-ear phones I always use when traveling); my reference Sennheiser HD650s, and Shure Se530 in-ears.

12 hours into burn in, what do I make of it ?

WOW. I'd always read hi-fi reviews and wondered at the comment 'the sound was so good I stayed up late and played all my records'. Well, this morning I'm so tired - because I couldn't turn the Classic off. Listening to Jazz (Billie Holiday / Charlie Parker / Dave Brubeck / Gerry Mulligan), Folk-Rock (Fairport, Fotheringay, Steeleye), Folk (Baez, Martyn, Renbourne) and classical - track after track amazed me.

The sound stage this amp delivers is massive - wider in fact than my ears believe. And very detailed - I can hear clearly the location of different instruments. In choral pieces I could even hear individual singers in a chorus. Amazing fretwork noises on guitar music, key depressions on saxs.

The music, simply, seems warmer, more detailed, more natural. Each note is clearly delineated, almost mathematical, but the result is more musical. I simply didn't know there was this much information on the recordings - and I usually play through a fairly high end system. Not silly money, but the best I've got to after a lifetime of hi-fi obsessions.

Bass is properly in its place (I hate music which is bass-heavy and muddied), the mids are fine, and treble is clear - bells really ring !

I've yet to run my iTouch through this system - waiting for delivery of the GQ-25Ag interconnect Mini Jack (again from Russ Andrews). It will be interesting to see if there's a difference taking the signal direct from the insides of the machine.

Not yet used the DAC facility of the amp - having too much fun listening to recording after recording.

Thanks, hifi headphones, for leading me to this amp.

4. TDowney94

TDowney94 New Member

D2 with HD650

Ian T,

How do the Senn's sound with the iBasso?

5. Shaun-HiFi

iBasso D2 with Sennheiser HD650

Honestly, the D2 is not powerful enough to drive the HD650.

Really you'll need something like the Just Audio AHA-120 or a decent desktop headphone amp to power these high impedance headphones.