iBasso D2 - Three questions for your advice please!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Pipps, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Pipps

Pipps New Member

I am interesting in the iBasso D2. I have two questions:

1. If I plug it into a Windows XP computer via USB, will it be automatically recognised as a default sound-card?

2. For permanent desk use, can it be connected to AC power without the need for installing any battery/s?

3. Will it be compatible with Shure SE420 earphones?

Thanks.

Pipps

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

iBasso D2 questions

Welcome to the forum Pipps! Regarding your questions about the iBasso D2:

1) Yes, that's exactly what happens. The D2 gets recognised as a soundcard on Windows XP and Vista. I believe it's similar with the Mac.

2) The D2 is powered and/or charged via the USB port on the back. This means that while it's connected to a computer via USB it needs no additional power (it will also charge the internal battery if you flick the switch). If you are using it as a standalone headphone amp you can power it via the supplied mains USB charger.

See a photo below of the back panel of the D2 for reference:

[​IMG]

3) Absolutely, the iBasso D2 works with a wide range of headphones and earphones. It works equally well with highly sensitive earphones or higher impedance full size headphones.

3. Pipps

Pipps New Member

Hi Shaun

Thank you for your kind reply.

My only remaining question is:

Is the iBasso D2 better than the Firestone Fireye II?

Regards

Pipps

4. Shaun-HiFi

Firestone Fireye II v iBasso D2

We haven't had chance to run the two side by side, so I'm afraid I don't know.

Just doing a quick scan of the specs and I can't find that much info about the Firestone Fireye. I was particularly interested in the model of DAC used as the iBasso uses the Wolfson WM8740 DAC, which is a very high quality DAC (used in Arcam Solo, many good quality DVD players, etc).

5. Pipps

Pipps New Member

Hi Shaun

Thank you for the info. It is very useful to know about the precise DAC used inside the iBasso D2!

This will definitely help me make my decision.

Regards

Pipps

6. Pipps

Pipps New Member

Also, it would appear that the DAC in the Fireye II is the 'Cirrus - CS4344'

Source: Firestone Audio Fireye 2

Shaun, are you familiar with this particular DAC?

7. Shaun-HiFi

Firestone Fireye II v iBasso D2

Apologies for the very slow response. We've been moving office/warehouse over the last couple of weeks and it's been hard to keep up!

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about that particular DAC. It would be worth checking what other equipment uses the DAC.

Maybe some of the guys on AVForums.com have some knowledge of that DAC. Another place to ask would be Head-fi.org.

Sorry I can't help further.