IEM around £100, please help

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by dzsefi, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dzsefi

dzsefi New Member

Hi guys,

I would like some advice about purchasing an in-ear 'phone around the £100 price range. I've been using an UE super.fi 5 for the last two or three years, and I was quite satisfied with it. Now I'm looking for a bit cheaper model, which might be on par with the UE sound-wise. Is that possible?
    I would use it mostly with my iPhone, so a bult-in mic would be a welcome addition as well. I listen to all kinds of music, from acoustic jazz to drum and bass or rock. I've come up with these IEMs so far:
    - Klipsch image s4i
    - Shure SE115m+
    - Audeo PFE 022
    - Audeo PFE 122

Apart from the accessories given, what is the difference between the two Phonak Audeo versions? Which one would you recommend from these four? As a university student, I'm on a tight budget, so price is an important factor too.

Thanks!
    edit: Another thing, is it possible to order from Hungary? I can't seem to find it on the list of countries on checkout.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

IEM earphone around £100

Both the Klipsch S4i and Shure SE115m+ would be a significant step down from the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. The Super.fi 5 Pro is an dual driver balanced armature earphone and those two are dynamic earphones. It's a great shame that Ultimate Ears are no longer making this model. The nearest replacement is the Westome UM2.

I would definitely recommend the Phonak Audeo PFE 022. The PFE 022 is the same earphone inside as the 122, but you do not get Comply Foam tips, ear guides, carry pouch or black/grey filters. The only acoustic filter supplied with the 022 is the new green filter, which gives a more punchy bass response (it's my personal favourite).

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Shipping earphones to Hungary

Our standard checkout only allows shipping to a small selection of countries, which you can view at the following link (Headphones & Earphones | Headphones for iPod, MP3 player and Hi-Fi, including wireless headphones, running headphones,DJ headphones and more from Sennheiser, Grado, Shure and the best manufacturers.).

However, if you proceed with Google Checkout you can access a wider selection of shipping destinations in the drop down menu. Google Checkout can be chosen as an option after you add an item to your shopping basket. This payment method allows us to run additional security checks and assuming these pass we will be able to ship to your country.

4. dzsefi

dzsefi New Member

thanks

Thank you for your quick reply, Shaun!
    I think I'll stick with a pair of Phonaks then. What is your opinion about the other filters supplied with the PFE 122? If I used only the standard green one, would I miss much?

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

HI dzsefi,

The Green filter sounds quite open with punchy bass, a refined but contemporary sound. The other two are lighter and very sweet sounding, slightly cool but not clinical. The Grey and Black filters are great for Classical and older Jazz because of the sense of space but my favourite is the Green.

6. dzsefi

dzsefi New Member

Thanks again, I've ordered a set of 022s from you, can't wait to try them out. :)

7. dzsefi

dzsefi New Member

I'm impressed

Sorry, this may be a bit off-topic, but I wanted to give a follow-up of my purchase: I ordered the earphones thursday (07.10) and the arrived an hour ago (11.10), only two working days form checkout! That beats some mail-order companies in my own country :)
    I'm currently testing the Phonaks: they sound nice, and to my untrained ear, almost like my old UE super.fi 5 pros - considering the difference in price, that's great.

Anyway, thank you for your excellent recommendation and for the efficient service! :)

8. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

awesome service and support from these guys!

i have the Phonaks and tried the green filters but didn't really like them compared to the black or grey. i have switched between all of them and find the blacks the best as you loose too much detail with the greens and lack bass with the grey so the black ones are a good all rounder IMHO