IEM Ety ER-6i upgrade: HF5, Q-Jays, RE-262, ACS T15?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by pollen, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pollen

pollen New Member

Really, really liked my Etys as my first pair of proper IEMs. Long story short, they are no more and I need replacements asap. Originally chose ER-6i for the extra bass and the isolation quality for travelling, as I'm on train or around and about most days (found triple flange works best). Source mostly macbook pro, or iPod/phone (no amp). Mostly electronic music, soul/funk/disco, dub, reggae, some jazz, rock/indie, occasional classical. Almost always minimum 320kbps.

After lots of reading around, here's where I'm at:

Budget of c£100, but could be persuaded up.

HF5 - first thought, as seem natural Ety progression from 6i's, but slight concern about depth of bass. Avail on offer at £85.

Q-Jays - very tempted but seem difficult to source in UK. Found for £115 (but in odd colour)

Head Direct HiFiMAN RE-262 look good. Found for £99. Bargain?

ACS T15s also look interesting, although outside what I was going to spend @ £149. Are they worth the extra?

Ruled a few makers out during research, including Westone, Shure. So grateful for any comments on what I've chosen that I think will best suit my preferences. No opportunity to try before I buy AFAIK. Many thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Pollen

I will just chuck these into the mix as they are a detailed balanced armature but have decent bass without it being overpowering -

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99

I think you would really like the ACS T15 which feel really balanced and a bit more powerful sounding than the Etymotic stuff. I really like the HiFiMan in ears so the RE-262 would also, I think, work well.

Let me know any questions you might have:)