IEM for around £150

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Deeps1987, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Deeps1987

Deeps1987 New Member

Hi, first post on the forum. Been searching for a new set of in-earphones and kept coming across this site, so i thought I'd ask the experts for some advice.

I use my ipod touch on the daily commute to work (40mins each way). Currently using Sennheiser CX300 II's. Had them for 6 months or so, but i don't find them comfortable at all, if they aren't in exactly right, you lose around 40% of the sound in that ear.

So I'm looking for a new set, they need to be comfortable, foremost, then sound quality.
    I listen to all types of music, but mainly indie, rock, dubstep, dance and a bit of pop.

I'm looking to spend around £150, £200 is my limit though.

I've been looking at the Phonak Audeo PFE 012's, the only thing putting me off is a review from a customer, he said you need to buy the optional foam adaptors, for comfort and sound quality, but that he goes through a set a day (due to them being sensitive to oily skin), and at £16 for a set of 5, that's gonna add up quickly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and sorry for the long post

2. ROB_GTR

ROB_GTR New Member

I would agree that the foam tips are a must have although the silicone ones are very good.

Going through a pair each day is rediculous! I have had mine around a year now and still on the original pair! Granted i am going to be changing them very soon but non the less, a pair per day is stupid. I only use my Phonaks twice a week but for long listening sessions (10 hrs) and they are very comfy, good quality sound and well made.
    I have the Phonak PFE 112 not the 012, they are pretty much the same other than colour and filters

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

IEM earphones for £150

The Phonak PFE is excellent value for money. The comment about using a pair of Comply Foam tips a day seems excessive. I find they last about 3 months a pair if you use them heavily.

If your IEM budget can stretch to £200 the Westone UM2 is a good step up from the Phonak PFE. The extra driver gives a deeper bass response and better overall sense of scale. The replaceable cabling is also very welcome when spending so much on earphones.

4. Deeps1987

Deeps1987 New Member

I went for the Phonak PFE 012's in the end with 6 Comply Foam tips and received them an hour ago, absolutely love them, the build quality is really there. Also, thanks to hifiheadphones for the speedy delivery and the lolly pop, slightly random, but welcomed.

I've read reviews of people saying they don't go loud enough, but they are more than loud enough for me, and I commute in London. The sound quality is great, much better than the Sennheiser CX300 II's I am replacing them with, but I think i was expecting more with all the hype and excellent reviews they received.

Thanks for the suggestion ShaunG, but i had already placed my order by then, also, I wasn't that keen on the look of the Westone UM2, they sort of look like hearing aids.

The Comply Foam tips are amazing, definitely worth the price, they are super comfortable and mould to your ear so they don't fall out.
    Thanks again guys :)