IEM suggestions for just under £100

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by paul.wildthing, Nov 18, 2010.

1. paul.wildthing

paul.wildthing New Member

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones from a pair of Sennheiser CX400II (which could well be fake - bought on amazon on the cheap!) and am looking for suggestions for just under £100. I have looked at the Westone UM1 and the Phonak PFE 012 so far. I listen to rock and alternative/indie and a bit of drum and bass/dubstep so I'm looking for something with a good bass response but also a well balanced sound so that I can pick out the individual instruments when listening to bands like Arcade Fire. I would like a pair of IEMs with an over-ear design and I would also like them to be compatible with the comply foam tips. Has anyone got any ideas of what I should be looking at aside from the 2 I've mentioned?

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

IEMs for under £100

The Phonak Audeo PFE 012 and Westone UM1 are both excellent IEM earphone choices under the £100 point. They UM1 is a little lighter on bass than the PFE, but both have excellent clarity and instrument separation.

The other two earphones I would recommend under £100 with an over ear fit are the SoundMAGIC PL50 and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio, but these are both very bass light.

All of the above use a single balanced armature driver, which gives lots of detail. If you want more kick at the bottom end then it's worth considering a dual driver earphone, e.g. Westone UM2 or Shure SE425, but the price increases considerably.