IEM that sound like Beyerdynamic DT880's

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by russraff, Sep 19, 2010.

1. russraff

russraff New Member

I have the Beyerdynamic 880's (32 ohm) for the PC that I use for gaming but also listen to music. I love them to bits and haven't been tempted to upgrade - a rare occurrence. What I want is some IEM that mimic the sound character of the DT880's so that when I am in the gym or travelling, which I do a lot for my job, then I can "carry" the same quality with me. If you see what I mean? All of my portable stuff is lossless where I can and 320 if I have downloaded the tracks.

Any ideas? I bought some Phonak 012's from Hifi Headphones but I want more clarity and "space" to the sound. Initially I got some IE8's at a good (genuine) price, as these were supposed to have a wide sound stage. I found that the sound was no better than the Klipsch s4's I had previously, especially the bass which I thought was rather bloated on the IE8's. More to the point, their fit was damn awful and never seemed to seal the same way twice.

I listen to anything that has real instruments in it. I am not so keen on synth stuff. My fav tracks tend to have quite a bit going on, rather than a simple acoustic arrangement.

So given this info, what would you recommend? Pricing anything under £250.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Russell, Was great to chat with you earlier - Just to reiterate what was discussed as you have tried a bass heavy Dynamic Driver (Sennheiser IE8) and a single Balanced armature (Phonak Audeo PFE 012) the obvious way to get more solidity without the big bottom end and retaining the space and character of the music would be a multiple Balanced armature driver - I think the Westone UM3X Would work out well. :)