IEM's around £100ish

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by aeroman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. aeroman

aeroman New Member

I'm wanting to buy some in IEM's with a budget around £100. I had a set of Klipsch S4's but they were uncomfortable and broke twice in a space of a few months. Since then I have been using Soundmagic PL30's that I usually use for running. I listen to a lot of guitar based music, rock/indie/americana. I've been looking at the Phonak range, as well as the Etymotic HF3 and HF5, Westone UM1 and Ultimate Ears range. From these, is there anything you would strongly recommend? I've seen on here that the Phonak's keep getting a mentioned, but which range is best? 012, 111, 121?

Also, I heard the Etymotics come with a voucher for custom tips, is this true?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Aeroman

Just to clear this up for anyone who is wondering - the voucher that comes with Etymotic headphones doesn't give you free custom tips they are still £90, the voucher is just an encouragement to get the tips or to explain to people who have not heard of Custom Sleeves what they are.

Klipsch S4 are quite warm sounding and are not that detailed, in fact quite grainy. If you are after a much more precise and musical sound which is lighter on the bass (still with plenty of punch) but crisper with better separation then the Phonak 012 is a great choice as you will have to pay a lot more for a significant improvement on these. The 012 is a good place to start as it is identical to the more expensive model but with less accessories.

The Etymotic are lighter still with very little bass and the Westone is excellent but I think the Phonak slightly beats it.

Phonak Review

3. aeroman

aeroman New Member

Thanks, I'm assuming the less accessories will be the black/grey filters? I've seen these sold seperatly as well, are the 012's compatible with the other filters? You have said the 012's are identical to the others so I'm guessing it's not worth the extra £20/£30 for the 111/121's.

I've been told the Westone UM1's are a couple of years old and the UM2's are much better, but out of my price range, unless there is a massive sale after Christmas ;-)

The Etymotics look similar to the Klipsch S4's I had which were uncomfortable, although the HF5's are slightly cheaper than the Phonaks. I think I'm edging towards the Phonaks.

Do you know how the prices on here will be affected from 1st January with the VAT increase?

Cheers
    Anth

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If you add the price of all the accessories you get with the 112 / 122 model they come to more than the difference so I guess it isn't an unfair price difference but I would prefer to pay less and then grab the accessories I want with the difference if that makes sense, the comply tips are great.

There might be a few things on special after Christmas but to be honest headphones aren't like clothes and so we don't have loads of this seasons headphones to shift before the Summer ones come in:)

For a short while pricing will stay very similar but we will not be able to absorb the extra cost for long.