IEMs for under £50

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Mecblade, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mecblade

Mecblade New Member

Hi there,

I'm currently using Soundmagic E10s but the problem with them is that the cables are rather sub-par in quality, meaning the wires inside are torn so easily. Ideally, I would love to have the same quality sound (or better) with either a thicker cable which doesn't get destroyed as easily, or a flat cable, all with a maximum of £50 to spend (preferably £35 but I can stretch to £50). I'm a rather bassy person and I listen to Trance, House, A bit of DnB, Dubstep etc. if that helps :) .

I would be using such headphones during school and slight travel so some ability to withstand wear and tear would be helpful.

I'm currently looking at the A-Jay Fours which seems to benefit from the flat cable and L connector, but the reviews highlighting its imperfect highs and slightly uncontrolled lows worries me.

My priorities would be sound quality, accessories and then comfort.

Thank you for any and every help given :D

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mecblade

All In Ear Headphones suffer from the vulnerability caused by being small and light, this is why the most expensive In Ears normally come with replaceable cabling. The cabling on nice sounding headphones like the SoundMAGIC E10 are pretty tough considering it is pure copper inside the cable - this material is chosen for its superior ability to transfer sound but like all omaterials that are good conductors of electrical signals it is brittle and doesn't stand up to punishment. The cheapest headphones use steel cabling which is much cheaper, hardier but ultimately sound pretty horrible in comparison.

I have two bits off advice here - the first is that you should really take care of your In Ears. The cabling is very vulnerable and can be snapped inside within a few minutes if purposfully tried - this is the same for all copper cabled (good sounding) headphones and will not change no matter how much you spend. only cabling too heavy and thick for purpose would change this and that would obviously make the In Ears less useable. Flat cabling is designed to tangle less but keeping your In Ears in a case and winding the cable carefully after every use will elongate the life of any earphone.

The other thing you could do is to go for one of the cheaper replaceable cable options like this -

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones in Clear (SE 215)
    £79.96

Why keep buying non replaceable cable models when this may cost less in the long run.They have the same excellent cabling as the SE535 and if you have any issues with that then it is replaceable!:)

3. Mecblade

Mecblade New Member

Thanks for your advice Robin :) . I probably sounded like I screwed up the cabling quite soon. I've had these headphones for almost a year now and I've done my utmost best to keep it in pristine condition. Would soldering the wire be a suitable alternative to keep my Soundmagic E10s? A friend is offering to do so in the hope of preventing this from happening again but I was wondering if it would severely affect the sound quality of the E10s.

Thanks once again :D .

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If they have become disconnected at the Jack then it is actually quite simple to re-solder the connections - If you trust your friend let him have a go.

I have always found that In Ears seem to last a year to two years if you use them every day. you are right, I thought you meant you only had them a couple of months. Going forwards it would be great if someone very clever could invent a way to defend the cabling without causing the weight to go up dramatically. I know price is a hard thing to overcome but you sound like you are really enjoying your headphones so a pair with replaceable cables should definitely be on your list the next time you get new IEMs:)