IEMs similar-sounding to Ultrasone HFI-780?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by datay, Mar 3, 2012.

1. datay

datay New Member

I am using Ultrasone HFI-780 with a 5th gen iPod and FiiO E5, and I love the sound. I listen to mostly techno and electronic mixes downloaded as podcasts, varying from 192 to 320 Kbps mp3s, as well as some CDs usually ripped as ALAC.

They are a bit big for "on the go" sometimes though and won't fit under a hood when it's raining! Can you recommend some IEMs that do something similar to the HFI-780s? Up to about £200 or poss a bit over for the right in-ears. Was thinking Westone 3 but welcome other options.

Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Datay

It depends how big you want to go on the bass. HFi-780 are pretty neutral sounding, not too bright and bottom end is excellent but not overdone. If you like to hear music accurately and don't want elevated levels of bass then the UM3x would be a good choice, the Westone 3 has a similar feel but is much more bassy.

These would all work if you are fond of the HFi-780 -

Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 PRO Earphones Metallic Blue
    £194.95

Shure SE425 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Silver (SE 425)
    £239.95

Steer clear of the Sennheiser IE8 or IE80 if you like the bright and insistant top end of the HFi-780, they do not have that same airy feel.

3. datay

datay New Member

Thanks Robin, that gives me a few options.

Funny thing about a lot of user reviews of the HFI-780 (including their recent appearance in What Hifi) is everyone going on about their bass boost! I would tend to agree with you though, I find them more neutral but with good controlled bass (through Matrix dac actually slightly bright) and use the bass enhancement on the FiiO E5 most of the time for techno.