Ifi iCan - review

Discussion in 'Headphone Reviews' started by quadpatch, May 8, 2013.

1. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I have been playing with the Ifi iCan headphone amp for a couple of months and I am really impressed by it. I think a few people might be interested in this due to it's relatively low price and bass / soundstage controls. I was a little dubious about the controls before I tried them but they're very interesting, whether you have several headphones and like to tweak them to your desired sound or if you just have one and want to tweak the sound for different genres, this makes a lot of sense if you don't want to play with destructive EQ. I only had a couple of tiny niggles with this one, the bulk of my experience was hugely positive. Click on the following link to read more...

Noble Hi-Fi: Ifi: iCAN - review

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I read the excellent review, and would still like a simpler common-person explanation of how their EQ can be non-destructive.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks Dale. Yeah me too to be honest. There must be more to it it than just because it's analogue. As far as I understand it that would be considerably less destructive as you're not loosing bits of data from the file like you do with DSP (EQ). I can certainly contest that it sounds good.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I wonder about digital EQ even. I certainly have never had a positive experience trying to boost bass on (for example) the somewhat anemic Shure 1840. But I have had excellent results reducing bass on several headphones, even when played through a good DAC. However, even when playing a 44k WAV track through iPod digital out to the vamp verza DAC, the same amp from desktop USB still sounds better, despite the fact that the digital data should be the same (EQ'd or not).

5. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I agree, I've never been able to get good results EQ'ing up the bass for headphones. I tried it with the AKG Q701's quite a bit because they are very lacking in that department and it was a disaster. The iCan does absolute miracles to the Q701's bass though, it still doesn't quite bring them up to Sennheiser HD650 or SoundMAGIC HP200 levels, but it does make a huge difference and considering their other qualities it really saved them for me.