iGrado cable, Repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Dyson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Dyson

Dyson New Member

I've had my iGrados for a few years now and love them to death, the quality has just got better and better and they stand up to many £200 sets of headphones any of my colleagues or friends use.
    My only trouble is the cable.
    As I use them traveling to, and at work, and the cable has taken some abuse, I have had to make repairs a couple of times and the cable is getting a bit on the short side
    I'd rather not just buy a new set as I know the sound just won't be the same.

Would you recommend
    1, replacing the cable with one from any old set of phones
    2, A good quality replacement cable
    3, buy another set of iGrados
    4, something else...

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I would go with #3 - buy a new set. I'm sure they will sound magnificent. Grado is not going to make them worse. But after you get the new set, send the old one in for repair if it's economically feasible.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

You could get Grado to recable them but it will cost about the same as a new pair. The cable is quite nice on them so to find another as good at a cheap enough price to make all the hassle worthwhile will be hard. You could do a repair making the cable really short if you can find a nice quality extension cable which is pretty light.

I would buy another set - they will be a little bright at first but should settle to sounding almost identical tio the originals.

4. amstrong

amstrong New Member

what you write in this post is really good and very informative. I think it will help me in the future. Thanks for the great work