In-ear fitting: is it completely subjective?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by eliopd, Jan 16, 2014.

1. eliopd

eliopd New Member

Dear Members,

I have purchased my first earphones (following your feedback a Final Audio Design Heaven IV) and I daresay they sound pretty good. Anyway I am not completely sure about how to fit them in my ears: the manual suggests to try the "best" position and this does not help me a great deal. The earphones don't seem to drive you to "a" correct position (like those that need to position the cable over the ear).

So, at the moment I have tried to insert them at about -45 degrees with respect to the orizontal axis (through the ears) and almost laying on the front-vertical plane (how could I explain this...?). If I insert them from the back onwards they sound really different (scarce bass and strong high). However, is there a position that MUST be avoided?

Another question, please: do earphones like these need a "warmup" period to gain the best quality?

I thank you very much for any suggestions.

Elio

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The best thing to do is to trust your ears - If it sounds good to you then keep them in that position. There isn't really a rule to this as everyone has differently shaped ear canals.

One thing that can help are different ear tips - Comply foam tips work really well with the Heaven IVs. The size you would need is T-200.

I'n-ear earphones generally don't benefit much from a burn in period.