In ear headphone conundrum ?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by t_siege, Mar 22, 2011.

1. t_siege

t_siege New Member

Hi I've owned many pairs of in ear headphones, from Creative, Sony and Sennheisers.
    The last three pairs have been Sennheisers, one pair of the cx400 II lasted the best part of 2 years of hard use. I thought the sound quality was the best out of all my previous pairs hence why I stuck with them. However the next two have broke within in six months so I'm looking for something new.

After reading MANY reviews I feel I'm going round in circles between great sound quality/wide range and durability. I've only ever paid about £60 for my previous headphones but could be persuaded to pay as much £100 as I don't mind paying for good quality as long as they don't break like all the other cheaper headphones.

I listen to a wide variety of music from punk/rock/new metal/trans to classical etc
    I've identified the following headphones as possible replacements and would luv to know which one you would choose or could recommend something else:

SoundMagic PL30 In - Ear Sound Isolating Earphones or (PL50 as i know they're good value for money)

Klipsch Image S4

Etymotic mc5 High-Definition In-Ear Isolating Earphones in Black

Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass Earphones 012

Sennheiser IE 6

Monster Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers,
    Siege

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi t_siege

In ear headphones of decent quality have copper cabling, copper is the best conductor for audio purposes and like any other material which is an excellent conductor it is brittle and can be broken inside the cabling very quickly with hard usage. Luckily cable faults which occur through normal use are covered under warranty - if you heavily use your in ears warranty is important and several brands offer 2 year warranty - Sennheiser, Beyer Phonak, Klipsch, etc. Full size headphones avoid cable issues by having bigger thicker copper inside with better shielding and cable covering. Full size headphone cables on their own can weigh 10 to 20 times as much as an in ear headphone which is why they put much daintier cables on the in ears.

Let me know what kind of music you like and if you have a preference for a big warm sound or a precise cooler more detailed sound. I'll let you know which of these I think will suit:)

SoundMagic PL30 In - Ear Sound Isolating Earphones or (PL50 as i know they're good value for money)

Klipsch Image S4

Etymotic mc5 High-Definition In-Ear Isolating Earphones in Black

Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass Earphones 012

Sennheiser IE 6

Monster Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones ?

3. t_siege

t_siege New Member

Hi Robin, thanks for the reply and the information on in ear headphones.

In answer to your question. I suppose I would prefer a fuller big warm sound, that can provide a decent bass. The main problem I've had with headphones in the past is having a tinny sound if that answers your question?