In Ear Headphones For ipod < £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jcubjosh, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Jcubjosh

Jcubjosh New Member

Hi there

Im looking to buy a pair of noise issolating in ear headphones for an ipod but frankly I dont know where to start.

Budget has to be under £100, they'll be used mainly when commuting by car or for training in the gym or outdoors. Idealy Id like a pair that are comfortable and well balanced an even distribution over frequencys. A good overall sound, Ive put up with ipod generic headphones for long enough

Genres of music i mainly play are, metal, rock, dance, trance, drum & bass.
    Plenty of noise, fast beats, heavy guitars.

Any recomendations much appreciated

many thanks in advance

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

For your taste in music you definitely need a chunky warm bottom end but some clarity at the top should help sort out the rich layers of distortion in modern metal as well as the complex stereo imaging in a lot of contemporary dance music.

For your purposes I think the Shure and Sennheiser below are a good fit - The DTX100 is chunkier sounding, if the warmth really appeals they have the strongest bass but sacrifice a bit of clarity to find it.

Shure SE115 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (SE 115)
    £74.95

Beyerdynamic DTX100 Earphones in Black (DTX 100)
    £85.95

Sennheiser IE6 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 6)
    £93.95

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. Jcubjosh

Jcubjosh New Member

Thanks thats great!

Sennheiser IE6's were one that caught my eye when i was browsing the sennhieser range.
    I had a pair of cheap sennhieser in ears ages back and was really impressed at the value for money. Thing is i didnt want to be biased just looking at sennhiesers and rule out some of the equally as good headphones.

Im liking the sound of the SE115's whats the main difference between them and the IE6's?