In ear headphones for large ear canals under £40

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by reecesanford, Jun 15, 2010.

1. reecesanford

reecesanford New Member

Im looking to buy a new pair of in-ear headphones that will mainly be used for jogging/running.
    The trouble i find with most of the ones ive bought in the past is they fall out easily as i have got fairly large ear canals.

Another thing i do not like is when the length of cable for each ear bud is a different length.

Im looking to spend £40 maximum and a few pairs i noticed on here are

SoundMAGIC PL11 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones
    SoundMAGIC PL11 In-Ear Isolating Earphones in Black (PL 11) - Extended Bass

SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones
    SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Isolating Earphones in Black (PL 30)

Sennheiser CX380 In-Ear Sport Headphones (CX 380 Sport II)
    Sennheiser CX380 In-Ear Sport Headphones (CX 380 Sport II)

Although im open for suggestions

Thanks

2. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

My experience, the PL30 don't go very deep into my ear canals whatever tips I use. This could be a bit important in your case I believe. Sound is great on these, though I don't think they are the best out there for jogging, but I don't say they not will work for you.

Both PL11 and CX380 should do fine I think.

The best running iems I know yet are the new Phonak Audéo PFE 022, unfortunately they are going above your budget. :(

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones for large ear canals

I would say the SoundMAGIC PL30 with some Comply Foam tips (T-400 is the correct size) would work best for running. The PL30 has over ear cabling, which means they stay securely on your ear, even if the cable gets tugged.

Saiyajin, have you tried the PL30 with Comply tips?

Comply foam tips for just about any earphone will help with larger ear canals as the foam aids retention in the ear.

4. Saiyajin

Saiyajin New Member

Yes, I have a few pairs laying around, though it's a bit while since my PL30 got some listening here.
    I then went a go with them today and must say that I really don't remember my 30s. They do actually fit much more secure than I remembered. (my ears has just shrunk the past year?)
    Sound also great on them btw. These sure still one of my favorite budgets phones. :D