In-ear phones for iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Mandy, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I'm looking for a pair of earphones to use with an iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen. The problem here is that the 3rd Gen shuffle is the tiny little one that has no buttons on it.
    I'm looking for a set that are pretty good quality and don't over-do the bass, but they also need to have the remote control system. I am currently using the ones that came in the box with the iPod, but find them very uncomfortable.

So, any idea's on earphones with the controls in them that will work with this model of shuffle? I'm looking to spend a maximum of £40 at the moment, but can stretch that a bit if needed.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Thanks for that Robin.The Belkin remote looks like a great little add-on.

Just out of interest are those SoundMAGIC headphones the best for that price range? If I expand my budget by another £10-20 will I get a lot more for my money?

4. RobinHiFi

The Soundmagic are excellent for the price and earphones really don't get much better than this until you hit £80 - £90. Unless you need extra features or there is a particular brand or sound you already like these are a crazy bargain.

5. Mandy

Mandy New Member

So in the end I went for the remote adapter and a pair of Sennheiser CX300's. The sound is a massive improvement over the standard iPod earphones, but I am just wondering if the SoundMAGIC are less bassy than Sennheisers.
    I'm finding that the bass is a bit too much for some of the music I listen to and was wondering if its the earphones themselves or if its specific to the Sennheiser brand.

6. RobinHiFi

CX300 are similar to most of the good sub £50 headphones which tend to be a little bass heavy. The Sennheiser range are known for being quite warm, which is the preference of the majority of people, but the CX300 are not the bassiest headphones in their price range.

Every headphone will always sound better or worse with some songs, even the most expensive headphones will suit some songs and not work with others. Basically there is no objective perfection in audio - some people would think your headphones did not have enough bass.

Our hearing is individual and music is recorded in many different ways. As people work out the exact sound they want, that flatters their favourite songs, they normally buy a new more expensive product which is closer to their own idea of perfection. Eventually a few people who can't let that little gap between what they can hear and what they want to hear go end up spending £1000+ on some headphones and the same again on an amp and some interconnects. Even then you still find the odd track which sounds all wrong:)

New headphones always sound a bit odd as the brain does most of the work for your hearing and the new sound is simply not what your brain is expecting.:D

7. Mandy

Mandy New Member

So it's worth trying these sennheisers out for a little longer then?
    I've been switching between these CX300s and some Skullcandy Smokin Buds this week and I prefer the sound of the Skullcandy's at the moment.
    If the budget was increased to something like £100 would it give me a better choice of something less bassy?

Also, on a completely unrelated note my 7 yr old niece got an iPod for Christmas but the standard headphones wont fit her ears. Are the kids overhead band ones you do ok to use on an iPod to get her started?

8. RobinHiFi

Happy New Year Mandy!

All the kids headphones we do will work with an iPod - To spoil her on a budget give these a go - They are really surprising and kids love the design

Skullcandy Icon II Headphones in Magenta Print (Icon2)
    £24.95

If you want something a little more focused for yourself have a look at the Phonak PFE 012 Pretty amazing for the price. These are a real move away from bassy and cluttered sound, much more refined and detailed.