In ear phones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by juliawyatt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. juliawyatt

juliawyatt New Member

I had a pair of Kilpsh S4i which I loved the sound. However, they broke after 6 months where the wire joined the ear bud. I would have brought again but for the flimsy wires. I then brought a pair of Dr Dre which I didnt like very much for the comfort but the ear bud came apart.

I have been looking at the phonak because i quite often wear the phones in bed and also the Sennheiser IE6 Earphones. Which would give me the sound similar/better than the kilpsh or can you reccommend something else. I would spend in the region of £100.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

In ear headphones

The Phonak Audeo PFE 012 / 022 is the best sounding earphone under £100 in my opinion.

Mind you the PFE has quite a different sound signature to the Klipsch S4i, with a cleaner more accurate sound.

What do you listen to? Do you like lots of bass?

3. juliawyatt

juliawyatt New Member

I listen to a real variety of music - pop, rock, alternative - I like bass but not necessarily loads. I have also looked at the shure S315 although they are much more expensive and wonder if they are worth the extra or is there something else you would recomend.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shure SE315 v Phonak Audeo PFE 012

The replaceable cabling with the Shure SE315 is very nice, but other than that I do not think they sound any better than the Phonak PFE 012. I think you are paying quite a bit for the brand.

5. juliawyatt

juliawyatt New Member

Just one more question - i was looking at the westone um2. Is it worth the extra money for these and is the body quite large

6. Shaun-HiFi

Westone UM2

The UM2 is the next step up from the single driver PFE. The Westone UM2 is a dual driver IEM, which gives a bigger, more powerful sound. Bass response is more like a full size headphone.

The UM2 does have a bigger earphone body than the PFE, but it's designed to fit inside the bowl of the ear comfortably. The angled nozzles mean they sit very comfortably in the ear. Westone IEMs are very well thought through, with superb quality cabling and intelligent design.

7. juliawyatt

juliawyatt New Member

Thanks have ordered the phonaks today.