in ear recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by blaze, Jul 20, 2011.

1. blaze

blaze New Member

I currently have the Shure SE115 and wondering if it's worth upgrading them. I'd prefer to stay with an over the ear cord as I seem to knock the phones out nudging them otherwise.

I think the max I could (or would) spend is 120-130 at the max, but preferably 80-90 would be nice.

The only real thing is something that can survive the tube, so whatever noise isolation it can provide. Other then that, there's no other real requirements.

I looked at the SE215 & 315's and they look good.

Use is generally either with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) or my iPod touch.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Blaze

I would go for the Shure SE315 I know this is at the limit of your budget but these are a big step up from your current IEMs. This is the first Shure model in the range that uses a Balanced Armature design instead of a Dynamic Driver. Balanced Armatures cost a lot more to make and are much better at reproducing detail. That is why they are used in the high end IEMs and why this earphone is worth the extra stretch.:)

3. blaze

blaze New Member

I have read about the 315's and they do certainly seem value for money! I've no problem in bending my budget to go for them.

The noise cancellation on the 115 works pretty well for me travelling, so I imagine it can only get better going up a model

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Really it should be about the same as it is technically really hard to isolate your ears much more than this. Your eardrums are very much connected to your body which is largely water, we are all conductors for vibration with the skull being an excellent conductor of sound. This is why isolating your body in a quiet room has a bigger effect on background noise than putting your fingers in your ears.

The Shure foam tips give one of the highest isolations of any in ear product which is why we recommend the Comply tips to people who have headphones from other manufacturers, dense foam tips are the next best thing to Custom sleeves which really are the last word in IEM tips.