In ear up to £200 /

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Steve160k, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Steve160k

Steve160k New Member

I need to purchase X3 earphones before the weekend. Music taste is mainly vocals - :

Gary Moore
    Joe Bonnamassa
    Celine Dion
    Dido
    Roxette

But also - :

Dire Straights
    Rainbow
    Guns and Roses
    Metallica
    Epica/Within Temptation (Symphonic Rock)

Additionally - :

Keane
    David Gilmour

How would the new Musicaal Fidelity MF EB50 cope with this variation ?. Would another £50 for the Shure 425 be a step up in SQ again ?. Phonak ?.

Also require X2 earphones for two older sons (16 & 19) to replace cheap stock ones for MP3/HTC/Iphone. Durability, as well as sound quality and comfort is obviously a consideration. Budget up to £80 each.

Thanks.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I looked up the EB50 and couldn't find any of the usual reviewers, but one site (Wired UK) did state pretty clearly that they're wide-range, very neutral - the sort of sound that most audio buffs know whether they gravitate toward or not. BTW, I love the look of this EB50 - it's the right shape for me and looks to be extremely good quality.

This list below has some good things on it. IEM's are often peculiar for fit (they are for me), so if I were buying them for an older teen, I'd be inclined to let them pick, since in-ear 'phones aren't returnable, for sanitary reasons.

In Ear Headphones - Ear Canal In Ear Monitor Headphones (IEM)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Steve160k

For yourself the Shure 425 would be an excellent choice, nice and balanced with the right amount going on at the top and bottom for someone who likes well recorded music. These are a step up from the EB50 which are pretty nice but a little pricey, I would pick the Phonaks over these to save a little money without compromising on sound.

For your two lads it is hard to go wrong with these -

SoundMAGIC E10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black & Red
    £34.99

They sound just as good as any other bass rich earphone under £80, in fact much better than some! Hope that helps:)

4. Steve160k

Steve160k New Member

Hi Robin,

I was considering maybe the Phonak PFE012, or Shure SE215 for the two boys. As they are in the £80 range surely the Soundmagic E10 are not on the same level ??. Or are the E30 a better alternative ?. If the E10's are that good then i naturally would be happy to save some cash and order those from yourselves.

Additionally, they will have to be durable and not fall apart, considering the age group (16 & 19) they will be for.

Many thanks.

Steve.

5. RobinHiFi

Hi Steve

I think the Phonaks are a better headphone objectively but young people tend to like a larger amount of bass as this suits contemporary Rock, Metal and Electronic music. Often they don't see the advantage of cable up (the Phonaks have to be worn this way) and SoundMAGIC have obviously spent a bit of time making the milled aluminium driver housings look "cool". Despite the cost difference I'm recommending the E10s because I know teens love them normally. If your kids like Classical or Jazz (I did when I was that age) then go for the Phonak 012. E30 are more balanced, less "fun", again less attractive to the young. Shure SE215 are also quite popular with youngsters, I like these as it is a cheap price point to find a replaceable cable at.

6. Steve160k

Steve160k New Member

Hi Robin,

If the Shure SE215 are a comfortable fit, durable, and a level above the Soundmagic, i don't mind spending the extra money to get them into better sound quality IEM's. But at twice the price is it value for money with the performance difference ??.

The Shure's look like they are better a build quality and may last longer. Also, the Westone 1 is an alternative at the £80 price point as well. Are they worth considering ??.

Thanks,

Steve.

7. RobinHiFi

The "MAGIC" from SoundMAGIC is in the value for money, they sound a lot better than they should at their price. The value in the Shure SE215 (I think they sound right for their price) is definitely in the build quality - replaceable cables normally appear at £130 and above. The fit, the accessories and the reliability (as well as being able to swap the cable at much less cost than new earphones if you have an accident) make these stand out. Because of this I think the Shure are a better buy than the Westone 1 although that is a great sounding earphone too.:)

8. Steve160k

Steve160k New Member

Hi Robin,

If the Shure are a better investment longer term then i will go for them.

I am considering custom IEM's for myself, as i have sensitive ears - sore inner ear sometimes after using ear plugs for a few hours when out on the motorbike - so they should be a better bet for comfort, and a higher level of performance than most off the shelf IEM's i presume.

Many thanks for your advice.

Steve.

9. RobinHiFi

Until I sadly left them in the back of a Taxi I had a beautiful pair of ACS T1s, definitely the best earphones I have owned and extremely comfortable. Customs are a great idea, the fit really is as good as it gets and this should give better sound too.