In Ears for iPhone 4 & Spotify whilst Running

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Gareth, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Hi guys. First up, it's a pleasure to find a site that fills a specific need so well so many thanks and keep up the good work. Second, I hope you can throw some of that knowledge my way...

I use Spotify on my iPhone to listen to a wide range of musical styles from dark drum and bass through middle of the road pop to light acoustic stuff. I mention Spotify because it means I have no EQ available and I mention the iPhone because I use the headphone control for playback and taking calls.

The main time I use the phone for music is when running which means I can get sweaty around the ears (nice image for you there, I know). This has never caused problems with headphones in the past but guess it's worth mentioning.

I love a bit of bass so I'm going to say I'd be prepared to lose a bit of clarity for some big fruity warmth in the bottom end.

So far, I've been using the truly awful iPhone earbuds but, guess what, I want to upgrade. So, I'm looking for something that:

Wont be prone to falling out of my ear when running
    Isn't likely to electrocute me if it gets a drop of sweat on it
    Can ideally still be used to control playback and take calls
    Naturally has a big bottom end because I won't be able to EQ it at all

I'd prefer to get something that's going to last and will give me maximum listening pleasure so budget isn't my first concern. Based on what you've written in other responses the Klipsch Image X10I looks pretty sweet but do you think it's the best choice?

Klipsch Image X10i Sound Isolating Earphones with Mic & Remote

Maybe there's something newer available that I'm missing or it isn't suited to sports? I'd really appreciate your advice and thanks again for the excellent site.

If you have spotify, this will give you an idea of the range of stuff I listen to :)

spotify:track:07vA7uS46XpKTYERsq1HBu
    spotify:track:0hYDZYCpymqkOREQAED69h
    spotify:track:151umLRtzokngirM5bmc4L

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Gareth,

First of all thanks for your kind words, we try our best!

I have no doubts that you would love the Klipsch X10i but there are a few points which make it not ideal for your purposes.

The Klipsch X10i has a balanced armature driver which are much more susceptible to liquid damage than a dynamic driver. They also lack an over the ear fit, this not only reduces microphonic cable noise from movement but also really helps keep your headphones in place.

Based on your needs and the fact you recognise that not all in ears will stand up to the contemporary exercise regime I would recommend giving Shure SE115m+ a go. Adding these very soft Phonak silicone ear guides will really help during vigorous exercise.

These have a dynamic driver and can be worn over ear (you can still trail the cable from the front so the remote is in reach), they have plenty of bottom end power and are more detailed than the Klipsch S4i which are great but not quite as good as the Shures.

I've tried to be really practical with this suggestion - I would not blame you for still going for the Klipsch X10i as they sound amazing!

3. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Robin, many thanks for the thoughtful response.

I've ummd and ahhd over your recommendation considering the mixed reviews the Shures get but they fit my criteria perfectly so it's a done deal. I would never have been aware of the balanced armatures higher susceptibility to liquid damage so thanks for the education.

Will be placing my order now.

Thanks again.

4. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Looks like the earguides are out of stock so I've ordered just the headphones for now. Are there alternatives to the ones you suggested? I had a quick look but couldn't find any.

5. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Robin, thanks for the email and phone call. Perfect customer service. Can't wait for my delivery!

6. RobinHiFi

You are welcome, thanks again for your order:)

7. stephenguo

stephenguo New Member

8. RobinHiFi

Wow, not seen these before. I have some of the new 2010 ACS T1 - love these to bits.

9. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Just wanted to check in and say thanks again for the expert recommendation. Have tried to leave a review on Trustpilot but their site keeps timing out.

The Shures are in regular use now. To be honest, I'm not massively impressed with the quality; I find them quite flat with none of the vibrancy and life I'm familiar with in high end audio gear. However, they fit my criteria perfectly, the bass is huge and they work great for running.

So I'm a happy customer. I think you made the perfect recommendation and I'm pleased with my purchase although a little surprised at what you get for your money in the headphone world!

Thanks again for the advice and excellent service.