In need of some advice please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by chimp306, May 23, 2012.

1. chimp306

chimp306 New Member

I am literally pulling my hair out!

I have had for the last few years a pair of senheiser HD650s, and i love them. However i need a pair of closed cans as the wife is getting frustrated with sound leaking while she watches eastenders!

I have been reading reviews and researching for weeks and i dont feel much wiser than when i started.

I listen to all sorts of music, i have a very eclectic taste from rock, to dance and back to classical.

Build quality is important to me, i use my headphones a lot. budget is around £300 and if required an amplifier would have to be included in that budget too.

have been looking at the following....

Denon AH-D2000 - but comments about build put me off, my headphones have a hard life i know it

Shure SRH940

Audio-Technica ATH-A700x - current favorite - wish i could actually have a listen somewhere locally before commiting to buy

That being said the next best thing is to ask you guys, the experts your views for a replacement for my beloved HD650s

thanks in advance

EDIT* now consodering the Ultrasone PRO750 and Shure SRH940 as the "hot two"

read some things about the audop technica's that put me off a little.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Shure 940 would be a good match from the upper midrange to the low bass. But the 940 will probably sound slightly brighter, which can be fixed the way I describe in my Youtube video of the Shure 1440. The 940 is fairly neutral like the Senn's but more detailed, and the ear pieces and pads and the way they fit are very similar to the Senn's. The 940 also has an unusual spaciousness and soundstage for a closed headphone. One thing I also like about the 940 is the portability - although the carrycase is too large for baggage, the earcups pull down far enough and fold flat so I can wear it around my neck all day without it getting in my way.

3. chimp306

chimp306 New Member

appreciate your comments dale,

i wish i was articulate enough to say just what it is about my 650s i love so much, when i purchased them from a little local dealer who sadly is no longer trading i auditioned them against grado RS-2s.

The grado probably had a clearer sound to my ear, but there is something towards the bottom end that made the Senheisers more comfortable to me. I do listen to music for hours each day with them.

its between 3 now i think, and ill put them in order that im thinking.

Shure SRH 940 - concerned about the brightness now
    GermanMAESTRO GMP 450 PRO
    Ultrasone PRO750 (or possibly 900)

would really appreciate some comparisoms on the PRO750/PRO900 & GMP 450 to the senheiser HD650s if anyone can help

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

You would probably really like the Ultrasone Pro 900. Very solid sounding - much tidier bass than the HD650 and a little more grasp of fine detail. They do take some driving though, it's still a comfortable sound which is quite warm, not cold and harsh as some Pro headphones can feel. GMP 450 are a similar affair, very nice neat bottom end considering it is strong - more texture than the HD650. Both are a slightly less comfortable listen but I feel it is an improvement over the HD650 which feel a little lazy to me, although they are great cans if you like a very relaxed sound. GMP 450 are also feather light and very comfy, Pro 900 is not heavy at all - all three are very comfy really. Also they all benefit from a detailed and powerful amp.