In severe need of new headphones (budget 100£/150$)

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Jaster, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Jaster

Jaster New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hello there,
    My old headphones (Gamecom Plantronics 367) just broke after about a year of usage and they vere amazing considering the price (25£ with postage), but now I need some new ones.
    I have a budget of about 100£ in total, since I'm a student so money is hard to come by (I'm gonna have to go without lunch for about a month to afford this, but it's worth it.. I haven't had music in months)
    So my question is, what should I get?
    Here are my priorities in order:
    #1 sound quality. If I can get some with better sound than the Gamecom ones I had, I will be in heaven.
    #2 durability. I really want them to not.. you know.. break easily. I bring my headphones with me at almost all times, so they should be able to handle some wear and tear
    #3 Value. Getting more for less is always nice, my old headphones were absolutely SUPERB value
    #4 Size. I have a thing for massive headphones.. there's just something so amazing about big headphones
    #5 Microphone. My old headphones had a microphone because I used to be a gamer, but since I moved I don't have anything to play on, so this is a very low priority and just a convenience for if I ever want to record some songs. (but I think I'd buy a separate microphone in that case)

My main genre is Metalcore (I've heard something about headphones can be better for different genres) and bass/thump/punch is my fetish.

I've done some research and the best I've come up with are the Cresyn C720H, SennHeiser HD 518, beyerdynamic DT 440, Lindy Premium Hi-fi Headphones and SennHeiser HD558

All suggestions are more than greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, Jaster
    PS: Yeah, I realize there's more than enough posts like this already, but I'm so flippin tired by now that I can't be bothered to read them all and come to a conclusion from other people's preferences
  2. Ian Hifi

Ian Hifi Super Moderator

Oct 19, 2011
    Hi Jaster,
    I think closed back headphones are probably the best option if you are using them everywhere (on the bus/train/public places) as well as at home. That said, loud complicated rock stuff sounds mind blowing on open back headphones. It's like being at the gig. The problem with open backs is that they don't have much noise isolation like closed back. If you are listening to Avenged Sevenfold on the train, anyone within 6 ft is listening to them too.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)

The DT 770 might are worth looking at. Big cans, comfy on the ears, good sound insulation, plenty of bottom end and crunch.
    AKG K-271 MK II Closed-Back Studio Headphones (K271 MK-II)

Also check out the AKG 271's. Really good insulation so you can crank them right up on the bus, and they have an auto-mute device which means they mute the sound when you take them off your head. Really good value too.

As a very general rule of thumb, once you cross that £100 threshold, you move into a much higher sound quality than below that price. Build quality,components used, and sound detail go up by a considerable amount. Its not true of every single pair of phones but its a general guide to buying.