Iphone controlled headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Loudandproud205, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Loudandproud205

Loudandproud205 New Member

Hi,

I have had a quick search round but to no avail :(

I am looking to get a new set of headphones, to replace my failing Sony MRD-EX38's

Prior to this I was using the OE headphones that were ok but lacked the ear buds I required.

They will be used for work which is an active manual job, hence why ear buds work better as they stay in my ear better and can be tucked under a pair of ear defenders.

I listen to a wide variety of music from Vanessa Mai to Dire Straights to Happy HardCore, really a bit of everything.

I did find the Sony slightly bass heavy and undefined but the price I couldn't really complain.

Requirements
    -Ear Buds
    -Inline controls
    -Sub £50
    -Cope with different styles of music

Thanks Lee

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Loudandproud205

I have a no nonsense earphone recommendation for you -

SoundMAGIC E10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black & Silver
    £34.99

These are brand new, very comfy and really impressive on the sound front, they even look very now. They have nice big bass, but not so big it dominates, the mids and the top end are clean and clear with a lush feel. Should work well for someone with eclectic tastes.

Have a look at this little feature about their new models:)

Hifiheadphones Blog - New SoundMAGIC Models

3. Loudandproud205

Hi Robin.

I had been looking at the and the reviews are sound great but they seem to lack the inline controls, as they are quite important to me as I like to leave my mobile in my pocket safe from as much dust and contamination as possible.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones with iPhone controller

I'm afraid it's really hard to find decent headphones under £50 with iPhone controller button and volume control. Normally this adds about £20 to the purchase price (thanks to the cost of the Apple license of the chip to do this).

The lowest priced earphone with iPhone controls I can think of is the Sennheiser CX880i or Klipsch S4i.

Those SoundMAGIC E10's are stupendously good value for money (you'll struggle to find anything under £70 that competes).

5. Loudandproud205

Thanks for the input.

I dont need to have the volume controls and from some I've seen today most with a mic and button perform them functions.

I dont know if that helps at all, as There were a few pairs of Sony, JVC, Phillips under £50 but I am pretty lost on them.

The E10's sound perfect just need a control system

6. Loudandproud205

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

8. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

If you're just after earphones with the iPhone call answer button then check out these recommendations:

SoundMAGIC MP21 - Well defined bass, clear vocals and neutral trebles. Nicely made metal earphone body.

Sennheiser MM50 - Chunky bass and sparkly trebles. Midrange is a little lacking.

Note: The MM50 with 2.5mm jack you linked to above is not for the iPhone.