iPod headphone upgrade

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Bill C, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Bill C

Bill C New Member

I mainly listen to jazz on my iPod, so I primarily want even frequency response and plenty of detail. The catch is I mainly listen on my (walking) commute, so for safety reasons I don't want to block out the sound of approaching traffic!

Any suggestions up to say £50?

many thanks

Bill

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. Bill C

Bill C New Member

Hi Robin

Thanks for your suggestions. Of these, which do you think gives the most neutral un-coloured sound? I'm mainly listening to recent jazz recordings at the moment, so largely acoustic instruments, well-recorded, with a minimum of "production". If I can hear the cymbals and the double-bass clearly I'm happy!

thanks again

Bill

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Without a doubt the Grado iGrado is the best sounding of these. Although not a stidio type headphone the Grado sound is clean powerful and clear with a reasonably flat EQ.

What HiFi? Editors Choice and also Winner "Best Portable Headphone" Award
    "These neckband Grados are chunky, leak noise like mad and take ages to run-in, but we love them. They offer more detail, range, sense of scale and sheer musicality than anything else in this price-class".

This is a pretty accurate review - The Drivers in this headphone are very similar to the legendary Grado SR60i. The Grado sound also fits well with your taste in music.:)

5. Bill C

Bill C New Member

Robin

thanks - order placed with hifiheadphones today

Bill