Ipod + IEM + portable amplifier (?)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by anbe, Jul 2, 2012.

1. anbe

anbe New Member

Hi all.
    I need your advice.
    I like to listen classical and jazz music on my Ipod (lossless format) and today I'm using some Philips IEM (I can't remember the model but they are cheapy). In normal condition (e.g. walking or biking) they are not bad, even if I'm not able to keep them really stable in my ear, but the problem is when I try to use them during flight.
    When I'm on a plane I have to increase volume up to 90 - 95% to be able to hear something: I know that, maybe, trying to listen to a piano or a cello concert on a plane is not the best choice but I would like to have fun even on those long flights.
    So I was thinking if changing the headphone and, maybe, adding an amplifier could do the job.
    And this is the advice I would like to have from you experts.
    Which is the best solution keeping the total price (IEM + amplifier) below 100€ and between 100-200€?
    Thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If the ipod cannot drive an IEM I wonder what is wrong? My ipods can drive even a 300 ohm Sennheiser HD800 to average listening levels, just not really loud. The IEM should play at very loud volume levels from an ipod. Could it be it's not seating in your ear properly?

3. anbe

anbe New Member

Thanks dalethorn for your reply.
    You're right. I'm not able to seat my IEM properly in my ear. I had always this problem (doctors said my auditory canals are narrower than normal) and this is the reason why I bought this Philips IEM because they have the cable that goes over the ear to keep them in position but even if they stay in my ear, they don't seat inside the auditory canal. In normal conditions (I mean, walking in the street or biking) this is not a problem, even if I need to push them in my ear very often. The biggest problem is when I'm traveling by plane (very often for my job), because adding the not properly seating in my ears to the plane and flight noise, the listening experience becomes very frustrating forcing me to increase the volume to higher level.
    In normal condition (walking) the volume is setted to 60% (below this value the listening is very poor), on the plane it happens that I have to set the volume even to 100%.
    This is the reason I'm thinking to change the IEM and adding if necessary an amplifier.
    Thanks again.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Did you look into the Comply tips?

5. anbe

anbe New Member

Yes, I did, but I think that the body itself of my IEM is too big. I mean, if I take off the rubber tips and try to insert the "untipped" IEM in my ears, I can't do it freely that is I have to push because it seems that the conduct is narrower than the terminal part of the IEM.