iPod replacements / studio & stage IEMs

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by notdedyet, May 9, 2011.

1. notdedyet

notdedyet New Member

Hi, a newbie question if you don't mind. I'm looking to replace my standard iPod earbuds with something that will cut out passing traffic noise and give better sound quality and comfort, but I'm wondering if it's possible to get something that might also serve for studio recording and initial mixing (final mix always done through loudspeakers) and possible on-stage IEM use with a loud rock band, or are these completely different and conflicting requirements?

If it's going to be for straight iPod use only, the the budget is fairly modest, up to about £40 or so. If one model can do everything then I'd be prepared to consider spending £100 or more. Robustness/durability would definitely be important factors here, or a design that allows individual components to be replaced as and when they wear out or break, without having to replace the entire set. I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SPs and love the fact that a) they're almost impossible to break because they're designed to fall apart safely when you tread on or snag the cable (happens at least once per session!) and b) you can replace all the bits separately when you do manage to spoil something.

All advice appreciated.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Notdedyet

As you may have guessed you are asking a bit too much for your budget, with a little more money you can indeed get something which will work. In ears are by their nature small and a lot more delicate than a HD25 - You just have to be careful with them but replaceable cables can be a lifesaver, you tend to find these on pricier models though.

Within budget is the excellent Westone UM1 - no replaceable cable but if £100 is your budget you will not do better than these.

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)
    £89.95

or

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones in Black (SE 215)
    £99.95

If you can find a bit more money one of the best value in ear monitors at the moment is probably -

Shure SE315 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Clear (SE 315)
    £154.96

or the excellent

Westone UM2 Dual-Driver Earphones with Replaceable Cable (UM 2)
    £206.95

The SE215 is the best fit for what you have said but have a look at reviews of these as the little differences will help you be certain of your final choice:)

3. notdedyet

notdedyet New Member

Thanks very much for the considered suggestions, Robin. I'm tempted by the more expensive Shure option but shaking the piggy bank I'm not sure there's that much in it right now!

As the stage IEM requirement is a bit hypothetical at the moment I might just go for the 'toe in the water' approach and look initially for something better for general iPod use. If the budget is £40 for this, what's the best buy at that level?

Thanks

Michael

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I know what you mean, everybody's wallet is a little less happy at the moment!:)

Give these a go, they are superb for their price, great quality so amazing value at this price.

SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black
    £34.96

You may find these a little cheaper in a couple of places but they are unlikely to be proper UK ones with a UK warranty.

5. notdedyet

notdedyet New Member

Thanks Robin, just placed the order with you, looking forward to receiving them. Thanks for your help and advice.

6. notdedyet

notdedyet New Member

Not happy with SoundMagic PL30s

Robin/other moderator

Per my email of Thursday 19 May to info@hifiheadphones.co.uk which has not yet been acknowledged, I am not happy with these headphones and would like to return them for a refund. Could you please acknowledge and provide details of the return procedure and address?

Thank you.

Michael