Is amp powerful enough?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by MagRRR, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MagRRR

MagRRR New Member

Mar 3, 2013

I have a Fiio E9 amp with E7 DAC. I am looking to buy some good open back headphones for music and especially gaming. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 ohm but am unsure whether I have enough amp power to drive these well - 600ohm is the highest impedance I think I've seen.

Can you advise me on this issue? Are there any other high impedance full size open backed headphones around the £200 mark you would also recommend?

P.s. I apologise if you are already answering this - I posted a "contact us" query on Friday - but have just noticed you have an extensive forum as well so have signed up.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi MagRRR

The DT880 600 Ohms are a great choice, you should definitely give these a go - I would also check out the GermanMAESTRO GMP400 for a similar sound with a tiny bit more bass but the same super comfy fit.

Your E9 has just about enough power for the DT880 600 Ohms but will lack headroom. Classical and quieter tracks would suffer the most but if you prefer contemporary music you might just get away with it :)

If you were looking for a really powerful amp which feels accurate with a touch of warmth I recommend having a look at this -

Icon Audio HP8 MKII Pure Valve High End Headphone Amplifier