Is earphone "burn in" really necessary?

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by veggiop, Mar 1, 2011.

1. veggiop

veggiop New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    OK, I'm a little behind on the whole audiophile thing.I looked around, and even tried to do a search, and couldn't find anything here definitive on earphone burn in. I'm sure it's been covered here already, but is it really necessary? I get my NuForce NE-6's tomorrow and just wondering if I need to do a "burn in." If I could get a little advice, or if someone could point me toward the pertinent thread, it would be much appreciated!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Earphone burn in

Normally you will experience less burn in time with an IEM earphone than a larger full size headphone, although you may notice some changes of sound signature with some models.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, just get on with enjoying your new headphones and the process of burn in will happen automatically. If anything it's quite enjoyable to witness the changes in character to the sound as the earphone gets it's first few hours of playing time.
  3. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I'm no expert. But having recieved my Beyerdynamic DT770's, I listened to them for the first time and they sounded nice. Then I hooked em to my ipod with my portable amp and left it like that overnight and all today and they sound a lot better. You can listen to them straight away but I'd recommend leaving em on for several hours for em to burn in as you really hear a improvement.

Best of luck :)
  4. stevengamel

stevengamel New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    los angeles
    I wouldn't let it keep me up at night but it does help. It just loosens the speakers up, the joints and let's the components settle more than anything to do with the electronics IMO. Nirvana overnight works.