Is the HD595 the right type of headphone for me?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by PorkchopHouse, Jul 3, 2010.

1. PorkchopHouse

PorkchopHouse New Member

Ok, so firstly hi to everyone this is my first post on hifi headphones forum, and I have a dilemma I need you audio experts to solve, because I cant find the answer anywhere else...

Now, firstly I have to mention that I'm not a complete audiophile, and no I don't have a $4000 stereo system set up in my house, but I love listening to music, and would like to apprieciate it with the best audio I can afford so I'm planning on buying the Sennheiser HD595.

Everything I have heard about it is positive and I haven't seen a single person write a negative review about the Sennheiser HD595, and I've heard that it:
    - has the most neutral, crystal clear audio overall
    - has the same quality as headphones costing twice as much
    - is very sturdy and extremely comfortable
    - has low impedance and doesnt need an amp (a big requirement for me)

And so I thought that I had struck gold when i found these because all of its features are something I want, but then I heard about it's very weak bass and how "bright" it was and my spirit was broken.

90% of the time I listen to DnB, dubstep and that sort of music with big bass booms so having at least average bass was a must, but then I heard that the HD595 has terrible bass!

So, audio experts, please help me out here, I'm in a big dilemma. I am in love with the HD595 and all of it's awesome features for such a low price, but does it really have a significantly bad bass? Are people just exaggerating and comparing the bass to £250 headphones, in which case obviously it wouldnt be that strong, or is the bass actually quite weak, like £15 earphone weak?

If it is quite bad, then is there another set of headphones with the good qualitys of the HD595 that i mentioned,

(- has the most neutral, crystal clear audio overall
    - has the same quality as headphones costing twice as much
    - is very sturdy and extremely comfortable
    - has low impedance and doesnt need an amp
    - relatively cheap)

but with better bass and similar price (it needs to be comfortable and sturdy for long listening)? What about the Shure SRH-840? I've heard good things about them, how does their overall sound, and bass compare to the HD595? By the way, just mentioning again that I dont have an amp, or plan on getting one (some people have a budget :( )

Thanks SO MUCH in advance!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi PorkchopHouse,

First of all, great username I like what you're cooking!

The Sennheiser HD595 are great headphones, as your research has suggested, however what suits one person may not suit another - sound and especially Bass vs Clarity and detail is incredibly subjective and totally personal. Darker or bassier headphones focus their attention on the bottom end whilst bright headphones focus on the fine detail - headphones that spread their attention evenly across the frequency range are said to be balanced. Having Closed backs normally boosts bass frequencies and an open back causes the opposite effect.

When choosing headphones you are really attempting to flatter your own tastes. No matter how amazing or over-engineered a pair of 'phones might be if they don't fit with your ideas music then you will not really enjoy them.

So the HD595's are Open backed and natural sounding, a little brighter than their neighbours the HD600 and HD650 but still warm and sennheiser flavoured. They are certainly not all about the bass so I would say Dance heads need not apply - They are really great for Classical, Folk, Indie and Vocal pieces.

For a neutral (great bass but definitely not overshadowing the mids) but powerful sounding closed back the fantastic Ultrasone HFI780 is unbeatable for it's price.

I think you've already seen the Shure SRH840's which to me sound right up your street. Powerful bass and driving rhythmic feel whilst retaining detail and keeping the mud at bay. These are an excellent pair if closed backs so you can wear them in the street or on the bus or on the train without being lynched! Easy to drive (although an amp doesn't have to cost the earth have a look at Fiio E1 and Fiio E5) and nice and comfy too. These are pretty much the last word in headphones for Dance music unless you have £1300 and can find someone who is crazy enough to part with these Ultrasone Edition 9's as they are no longer in production but they will probably always be the bassheads ultimate headphone!

3. PorkchopHouse

PorkchopHouse New Member

Wow, thanks alot for such a detailed reply, it really cleared up all my questions and uncertainties about these two pairs! Before this, I was really trying to make myself stick with the HD595's for its sound quality but you definitely opened up my eyes about these two when you said its about flattering my own tastes, and I realised that the HD595 is superb, but just not for my type of music and listening style.

And from how you've described the SRH840, I'm pretty sure they are exactly what I want (more powerful bass that the HD595 but still retaining detail and listening quality) I'm glad you've referred to the Shure cans so positively, I was really in doubt about getting them but they are beginning to sound more and more amazing as I find out more...

I'm not really focused on the HFI line because I still needed a more balanced headphone, not too much bass and less focused on the powerful and punchy end and more focused on detail in mids and highs etc. which is why the SRh840 seem like a much better choice

Also, thanks for informing me about the Edition 9 but no I dont have that much money or even an amp which would cost another 1300... I've heard about the FiiOs and I was actually planning on getting the e5 even before you mentioned it, but they are hard to come across here... still I will keep trying, thanks for your advice I definitely needed it!