Is there anyone else on this site but dale ???

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Lukin4DecentHedfones, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Lukin4DecentHedfones New Member

Ive not been on here long but have realized that the only name that keeps popping up is Dale.....(thanks for helping me out Dale)

Is there another forum that more people use and give advice, because theres only a couple of people keeping this forum going ???

Thanks
    Ash

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It depends on what you're looking for. Here are some instant forum reviews:
    WhatHiFi headphones forum - more discussion, but you can't get answers to as much as here, even though there are more people.
    Computer Audiophile - sparse posting, somewhat useful but limited answers.
    AudioKarma - same as above.
    SGHeadphones - Not much posting, but some good info.
    HeadJam - same as above.
    Head-fi - the biggest of the big, millions of posts, tons of discussion, good luck.
    Head-case - small version of head-fi.
    Innerfidelity - forum is limited, but the main pages/reviews are often full of interesting comments.

EDIT: I should add here that different forums serve different purposes, from my point of view. The really large forums like head-fi try to be jack-of-all-trades, some forums are very hobby-oriented in terms of soldering and changing cables and parts etc., some are very professional and exclusive, some are run like a fraternity, and some are geared to provide answers for making purchase decisions. One of the best ways to find forums is search for a popular headphone with google and see where that headphone is being discussed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

There's me too!:D

Sometimes the forum is a lot more active - Christmas sees a massive rise in people discussing headphones. As in life there are always more questions than answers.

4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

I joined recently and I hope I can help out a bit too. Dale and I don't often argue much, but hopefully I can add a little something to the mix. I know Dale from the What HiFi forums and we've often discussed stuff on there so I thought I would come and bug him in here too :). Sorry Dale, no place to hide :D.

Anyway, like Dale I like to write about headphones, DACs and amps (http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk), so if I think I can help, or I want help myself I will be chiming in from time to time - although not much this week coming, as I will be on holiday.

Hi everyone! Hope you're having a nice weekend :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. RobinHiFi

Hi quadpatch!

You should post some links to your reviews in the reviews section:)

6. Lukin4DecentHedfones

thanks guys

Cheers, i knew there was more of you on here.

By the way i just bought the SoundMagic HP100s from iHeadphoneS and they didnt turn up, when i rang them today they said they were never geting them in stock again. So now i have to wait for them to put the money back in my account to order another set. DAM IT !!!!

Thanks Ash

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm sure sorry to hear about that. Tell me, Ash, where are you located approximately, is it difficult to get any items from foreign sites past customs? I've ordered out of country a few times with good results.

8. Lukin4DecentHedfones

I wouldnt know to be honest. Do you think thats an option ? I live in uk (england) but never thought of that.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I bought my HP100 here and had it shipped to the USA:
    SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)

I don't know if it costs more from here, but I've found it to be a good deal in the long run.

10. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Yeah thats where i was going to get them from. I wish i went there first. Thanks Dale.

11. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks Robin :). I will post some links when I get back from the holls on Saturday (on hotel WiFi chillin ATM).

I have a couple of Fostex T50rp headphone reviews coming up but it looks like the VModa M-100 is going to be a delayed a while longer. I was just eyeing up the tube amps on the HiFi headphones shop just now, wow they look sexy! :)

12. RobinHiFi

13. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It's all sold out, so it must be a hot item.

14. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

15. RobinHiFi

The Icon Audio HP8 MkII is a seriously impressive little amp. I say little but is weighs a desk busting 8kg! It's incredibly powerful and will drive everything - including smaller speakers.

It's hard to describe the sound but it has the best characteristics of a valve (tube) amp (feeling warm, rich and very analogue) and something of the positives of solid state sound (it is quick and very detailed).

These attributes are down to the hand wired (military spec or point to point) design which has a very short signal path, no printed circuit boards. If they were hand wired in the UK they would cost about three times as much, because they are partially manufactured in China they are a bargain - finished and tested in the UK.:)

16. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Thanks Robin! That amp looks and sounds amazing!! My wife likes the look of tube amps, maybe that will help :p

17. RobinHiFi

That will definitely help you out!:)

18. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

"Look honey, I bought you a present to go with the Denon D7000 that you 'acquired' from my desk and now seem to own. Listen to them through this and eventually it glows and makes the room look pretty... no you can't hang you're jewellery on it... no it wasn't that expensive"

Man logic: she loves Apple stuff so clearly she's fine with pretty things being super expensive anyway :)

Anyway, back to amp stuff. Have you tried the Schiit Lyr, Robin? Are both these amps pretty warm sounding?

19. RobinHiFi

The Schiit Lyr is very warm with a more atomized sound - by this I mean the soundstage is closer, nice and wide and very 3D but also appears a little less solid. It doesn't resolve detail quite as well as the Icon HP8 MKII but it is quite impressive at current pricing. It does tend to warm up cool sounding headphones - it is quite subjective whether you really like this amp with many dynamic headphones - the amp very much compliments the HiFiMAN headphones or anything which is really quick and it has a much more subtle impact on the sound of some headphones over others.

20. marcusd

marcusd Member

Thought I should sneak in Headfonics

Only me!! :)