Just some advice please.

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by englishbullterrier, Nov 12, 2009.

1. englishbullterrier

englishbullterrier New Member

Christmas is coming and my boys wanna buy me some headphones.

I used to have a lovely pair of Sennheisers but one of the drivers went open circuit (internally) and it was not replaceable, due to it's age.

I would like complete over-ear phones and don't know if I need noise cancelling or not?

Weight is not an issue. my Senns had gel earpieces. Also don't want others in the same room to be too disturbed !!

I used to be quite a hifi buff with all Naim equipment but divorce saw to that !!

I'm looking for recommendations for between £50 and say £100. Use will be in-room almost exclusively.

What say you earphone speciallists ? I'm willing to consider all makes, but prefer well known like Senns, Bose, AKG, Sony maybe or other makes that are new to me I should learn about :)

Many thanks everyone............

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone advice

Hello englishbullterrier and welcome to the forum.

I would definitely suggest considering closed back headphones as they will keep external noise out and will not leak noise to others in the same room. Noise cancelling is not really recommended for general use, but the technology is brilliant for use when using on aircraft.

Below are some suggestions:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD500 - Closed back full size headphones. Very comfortable fit, light weight (despite size) and soft earpads. Good clarity and well balanced sound. Bass response is light, but well defined.

Sennheiser HD380 - Closed back full size headphones. Well balanced sound with warm bass response. Comfortable over ear pads with good sound isolation. Replaceable parts for long service life. Same as PXC350, but without noise cancelling electronics. Robust construction with Sennheiser warranty.

Denon AH-D1001 - Closed back portable headphones. Small, lightweight design. Very good sound isolation. Well balanced sound with good bass response.

Shure SRH440 - Closed back full size headphones. Well balanced audio response with well defined bass and clear mids/highs. Durable design with replaceable cable. Comfortable over ear cups with high levels of sound isolation.

3. englishbullterrier

Bose ?

Hi and many thanks. Do you have any views on the Bose around-ear headphones at all ? I've only ever had "on the ear" but was wondering about "around the ear" and Bose make great loudspeakers ?

Many thanks.............ebt

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Bose around-ear headphones

I have tried the Bose around-ear headphones. The sound is nicely balanced, but I find the build quality lacking for a product in this price range. This seems to be a common theme in the Bose headphone line-up.

5. englishbullterrier

Denon

What is it that makes the Denon's portable as against the others ? Thanks