[Kickstarter] USB powered Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by sixstat, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sixstat

sixstat New Member

Hi there!
    We just wanted to share a kickstarter project we're working on from Canada with you here.

The project is a USB powered amplifier for your headphones, specs and more details can be found on the kickstarter page here.

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them here or on the campaign.
    Thanks for your time!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

A first time poster with a link and no information is spam.

3. sixstat

sixstat New Member

I apologize if that's how it comes out as but that really isn't my intention

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If your intent is to be a part of this forum, then introduce yourself as a member (not a vendor or industry person), and then tell us about the item and what you know about it, and the price.

5. sixstat

sixstat New Member

OK, understood... Sorry about the misstep. Please let me restart.

The project I wanted to share with you is a headphone amplifier, but unlike the standard desktop headphone amp, this one operates strictly on standard USB power. This means you do not need to plug it into the wall for power nor deal with bulky power bricks.

The reason I prefer this to portable amps is that it is more powerful than typical battery powered amps. You also don't have to worry about charging it (no batteries). If you're on the move, then USB from your laptop (for example) would work just fine.

The campaign has this amp for $150 canadian (approx $125 usd) for the first 50.

Hope this helps clarify some things.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

That's a very small start, but the market has been flooded with USB amps in the past 3-4 years. Admittedly most of those are the "mini-DACs" with amp, but there are 2 connections with those, and what you have (if amp only, no DAC) requires *three* connections - USB, amp in, headphone out.

So again, since you came here just to promote this product, maybe you would like to explain about this product and why anyone should get involved.

7. sixstat

sixstat New Member

Yes, while this one does not have a built-in DAC, it does output more power than your typical USB DAC/Amp combo. While power is not a major requirement for many people, I think it is worthwhile to address those that do require it.

In my opinion, most laptops today have quite adequate DACs. I think the power sacrifice to get a DAC, in USB DAC/Amp combos, is less beneficial versus getting more power from the amp and sticking with the built in soundcard. I do believe, in the typical scenario, the benefit of a USB DAC/amp is less than that of getting more power from an amp itself.

While USB DAC/Amps might work perfectly well for most people, this amp is for someone who would want more power yet still retain some of the convenience of the combos you mentioned. While, obviously not as convenient, it’s still more so then the standard desktop amp.