Koss K6

Discussion in 'Vintage Headphones' started by kelvinmunson, Feb 15, 2011.

1. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Koss can, according to their web site, still provide parts for a large range of their products, in addition they will also provide free a lifetime warranty to a large number of specified products.

Unfortunately the once very popular K6 headphones are not included in the lifetime warranty cover and mine have recently become unservicable. I now have one ear that makes a horrible rasping sound when there is heavy bass. Not sure whether something inside has broken or become loose or maybe a hair or some other object has got inside.I know they are not exactly a great sounding set of phones, compared to modern headphones. but I'd prefer to repair them rather than throw them away.

First problem is that the earpieces appear to be glue together, so it's not so easy to dismantle for inspection or repair............. anybody managed to get a pair these apart without destroying them ?

Second problem......... replacement parts; despite attempts to get a response from the UK distributors, I can't locate a source for replacement parts for these..... can anybody advise me if it is possible to get hold of drivers for Koss K6, maybe Koss in the US.... ( no replies from them so far either) ?

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Koss K6 headphones

Wow... just looked up the Koss K/6. They look more like ear defenders than headphones! I'm guessing the sound isolation is pretty impressive.

If anyone is going to be able to help with repair it will be Koss in the USA.

I would follow up your email with a phone call to the Koss tech support department. I'm guessing you may have to speak with someone senior at Koss to get a satisfactory answer....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  3. kelvinmunson

kelvinmunson New Member

Hi Shaun, yes the isolation is pretty good............. similar to the PRO4AA, but without the enormous mass hanging around your ears.

I got back to Hama, the UK distributors, and they have forwarded my request to a guy at Koss in the US. I have his details so I'll give them a couple of days and chase them up.

Hopefully these can be sorted.............. I think they deserve it.

4. Crollo

Crollo New Member

[Apologies for bump...]

You put these things on, and all you can hear is just simply hollow echoing of empty space. That is, of course assuming you're not listening to anything through them, but yeah I'd say they do a pretty good job of isolation.

EDIT: Some photos:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011