Koss pro/4aa retro headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jay444, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jay444

jay444 New Member

are KOSS PRO/4AA RETRO HEADPHONES compatible with i-pods or do they require more power

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jay,

The Koss Pro/4AA Retro are power hungry beasts. They are a high ohm headphone (250ohm) and would come up pretty quiet paired with an iPod. Obviously you could pick another headphone (I would be happy to help with your choice) or you could twin them with an amp.

Inefficient high ohm headphones need a powerful signal to drive them, otherwise they present a 'veiled' cloudy sound which often chokes higher frequencies and lacks bass response. An amplifier boosts the signal providing the necessary power and 'opens up' the harder to drive 'phones.

The most basic amp you will get away with is this type of thing

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier in Black

£19.95

and if you wanted to spend some more on something that is plenty powerful enough and tiny.

iBasso T4 Ultra Portable Headphone Amplifier in Grey & Brown

£99.95

If you are getting an amp this good then a cable like this will finish off this portable set up.

iBasso CB07 High Purity Line Out Cable for iPod & iPhone Black

£31.95

3. jay444

jay444 New Member

Thanks for the in depth reply it was very helpful.I have to confess however that the additional essentials are too expensive for me.i was also looking at the "Eskuche Control Retro Monitor Headphones". do you think these would be more effective? Im looking for a good,nice looking full ear pair from between £50-£60.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Koss Pro 4AA v Eskuche Control Monitor

The Eskuche Control Monitor headphones are a more suitable alternative for everyday use with an iPod. They also sound quite a lot better in my opinion.

The 4AA is a radical looking headphone (it makes you look like a Vietnam helicopter pilot!), but is more about looks than sound.

5. ba2

ba2 New Member

@RobinHiFi , could you advise me what kind of amplifier to buy for my KOSS pro-4AA (250ohm)

thanks

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

And what source would you be connecting to the headphone amp?

7. ba2

ba2 New Member

PC - hp z400

integrated High Definition Realtek ALC262 Audio

8. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Even though it sounds like the DAC is probably ok in this tower PC it may still be better to get a DAC amp as they tend to not pick up your hard drive.

Here is a range of choices -

FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-11)

£55.00 - Basic but brilliant!

FiiO E12 Mont Blanc Portable Audiophile Headphone Amplifier
    £109.99 - Picking a protable amp gives the advantage of taking your headphones on holiday or into work etc.

Just Audio uHA-120 Headphone Amplifier Anodised Silver (uHA120)
    £219.95 - Handmade portable amp from the UK - all that glorious HiFi attention to detail in a tiny package!

DAC Amps

FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC (E-17)
    £100.00 - includes an excellent DAC for use with Mac and PC.

Just Audio uHA-120Ds Portable Headphone Amp & 24bit/96kHz DAC
    £319.96 - frightening high end quality for less than an average desktop amp and tiny in size!

Let me know what appeals and I can help narrow it down. :)