line out dock for iPhone 5 and fiio amp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by D.N.A., Nov 7, 2011.

1. D.N.A.

D.N.A. New Member

line out dock for iPhone 4 and fiio amp

Could i have some suggestions for a lod for iPhone 4 and fiio e7 pls?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. D.N.A.

D.N.A. New Member

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

5. Cliff277

Cliff277 New Member

A line out, like AUX cable to play on something else?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

"Line Out" is an old term that meant the signal from the preamp, with tone controls and etc., but not amplified to drive speakers. That speaker amplification required a power amp. An Integrated Amp combined the two. Today, the Apple devices are sort-of in between. They don't have enough power to drive speakers, but neither is the headphone jack output a true Line Out since it's meant to drive headphones.

So when you use a LOD cable, you bypass the headphone jack and use the dock connector instead. You still get the Apple's DAC and preamp amplification, but you bypass Apple's volume control circuitry. Apple tells me that the quality is the same either way, but I've found that bypassing the volume controls is good and prevents distortion due to not getting the exact volume setting to feed to the headphone or whatever you have connected.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It's funny that apple said that because it definitely sounds better to come from the bottom dock. Even if this is just because you are bypassing about 5 metres of PCB there is definitely a difference - I have an LOD with 3mm female so you can directly compare the same 3.5mm jack to jack.:)