Listening with iPods, external amps, focused listening etc.

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dalethorn, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here are some observations about listening with different devices, distracted -vs- focused listening, live -vs recorded, etc. Not intended to be controversial, but I wanted to point out a few things that rarely if ever get discussed, such as the equal-loudness effect in distracted listening being essentially the same as low-volume listening.

Sorry for the text format, but that site is plaintext only.

http://dalethorn.com/Headphone_Ipod_Versus_Amp.txt

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Interesting document, really helpful for someone who is just starting out trying to get a great sound from equipment they may already have and deciding what to add.:)

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Thanks - I'm constantly amazed that so many unexpected things make such a difference, like the time of day, or what I most recently listened to.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Where I live the traffic noise is horrific during the day, you just tune it out but its there. On a night it is really quiet and music sounds so much more emotional and involving. Makes me want to move to the countryside:)

5. Holders80

Holders80 New Member

Why is it that the sound quality deteriorates on iPods/iPhones? It's a very pleasant surprise when you discover all the background sounds and instruments when listening from your laptop. Doesn't really the other way around when your songs become flat on your way to work.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The ipod and iphone are the best players I know of for their intended use, but to get much improved sound from them just connect a small amp like this:

FiiO E07K Andes Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC

The FiiO E07k is excellent, but be sure to use a FiiO LOD cable, to bypass the i-device volume control.