Looking for bassy headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by xskugga, Apr 11, 2014.

1. xskugga

xskugga New Member

I'm looking for some bassy headphones that have quality bass and deep impact. Quantity is not as important as I have an amplifier to get more bass out of them, but as long as I can feel the bass and it's very heavy, that works for me. I like a dark sound, and my EQ will reflect that. I listen to mainly pop and dubstep as well as variants thereof, so bass is very important. It should be less than $300 (£180)...I would be more comfortable spending no more than $250(£150) but I will spend $300 if necessary.

I've asked on Head-fi.org, but could use some more input. Thanks in advanced for any and all help.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Be aware that when you buy from a U.K. site to send to the U.S., you don't pay the VAT as far as I know, so the ~1.66 etc. conversion factor doesn't apply - it's probably more like 1.2. Looking over the last 100 headphones I've purchased, I see several that have strong bass, but only one really stands out by your description - the v-moda M100. I have two of those - matte black and pearl white - very happy with them.

3. xskugga

xskugga New Member

I will be buying in the US, so no worries about VAT, thanks for the heads up though. I've heard about those, they were not personally recommended to me, but I heard they're a "basshead's dream" they are quite expensive and there are another pair around that price (HiFiMan he-400) that are said to be simply amazing...so those might take priority over the m-100s. Is there anything else that you've tried that stands out? If I can spend less that would be best. Thanks for the recommendation, it's reassuring to see multiple recommendations of the same headphones.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The HE400 should have "good" bass, a little strong perhaps, but not basshead by a long stretch. The Philips L1, L2, or X1 should be comparable to the HE400. I have heard that the v-moda LP is much bassier than the M100 and it's much cheaper. I haven't heard it though.

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

For bass the V-Moda is a very good call. I'm a fan of the HE-400 - if them being open backed isn't an issue then they would be a very good choice :)