Looking for closed backs to replace grado sr80i

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wiplash, Apr 14, 2012.

1. wiplash

wiplash New Member

Hi
    I currently have a pair of Grados they are great but the super tangly wires and open backed design arent so good out and about which is where i use them most of the time. I mainly listen to music on my iPhone I don't have an amp but am open to getting one in the future.

I listen to electronica, rock, and hip hop mainly. But then also artists like adele, jose gonzalez, julliana barwick and sigur ros. The Grado's might not quite have the bass I want but i dont think super bass headphones is that good for some of the music i listen to

I have been looking at: (but am not limiting myself to these if you have recommendations in the £100-200 - more realistically £100-150)

House of Marley TTR Destiny. Are these just fashion headphones or are a good quality headphone? The leather ear cups look strange are they comfy? they look a bit firm?

Ultrasone Pro550. I like the design of these which is important. The detachable chord is the only thing that might stop me buying Audio Technica ATH-M50s which sound like they are what I am looking for are they? Are the Ultrasones worth their price? Also are these on ear or over ear? I think I prefer over ear, if they are on ear is the noise cancelling still good?

Audio technica ATH M50. from what i have these seem to be second in line to the Grados, the only things they dont have is a detachable cable. And is a coiled cable good for portable use or does it get in the way - but there is a straight cable version from what I have seen, is the straight cable different in any other ways?

What other headphones should i look for?
    What sort of price can I expect to get for second hand pair of grado sr80i's (apologies if we can't talk about selling on here!)

EDIT~: Also I have a pair of Grados where one of the cables into the earcups has come loose, so they are broken. Can I get this repaired anywhere with good results or is the price tag not worth it?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Which to buy

Closed Back Headphones

This is the list I would pick from. Sorted by price - just scroll down a little.

3. wiplash

wiplash New Member

Yeah i chose the headphones from that list originally, the house of marley dont look like what i am looking for after a bit of research
    all reviews of the m50s say that they are amazing but i couldnt find too many ultrasone pro 550 reviews
    is the Ultrasone Pro 550's audio quality as good as the M50s? or are the M50s far and away the better sounding product?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Which headphone

The M50 is smoother but darker - much darker. That large dip in the 550's sound in the lower midrange would be a problem for me. But if I were picking on the basis of sound and comfort both, the German Maestro 8.35D is better than both. Very smooth top to bottom, strong bass but not boomy or muddy or even "bassy" - it's just right. If I chose the M50 I would consider maybe a slight bass reduction to even things up.

5. wiplash

wiplash New Member

Is there anywhere in the UK I am able to try these headphones on? M50s or the German Maestros? I am currently in the Manchester area but will be heading down south to Reading for the summer

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I don't know if there's a storefront since I ordered my gear through the mails. There's a phone number on the main page you could call.

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Wiplash

Feel free to give us a call during the week, office hours. Ask us anything you like!:)