looking for decent earphones on a budget

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by cinek, Aug 19, 2012.

1. cinek

cinek New Member

I currently have the bose mie2, but need something for the gym - has to be noise cancelling/filtering (really important), don't want to hear anyone around me also need them for traveling. Don't mind if they're in ear or iem's. I've looked at the B&W C5s but there are some complaints about the cable noise, since I don't want my music blasting out of them at the gym, that will most definitely be an issue Sad they also need to have mobile controls and work with the iphone

My budget is £150 but I can stretch it a little bit if needed

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

These are an amazing bargain -

Blackbox i10 Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones for iPod
    £64.96

They are quite impressive for active noise cancelling in-ears. With active noise cancellers you are paying for the technology so they don't normally sound as good as similar priced non-noise cancelling earphones. As I said these are very good for the price and are of similar quality to many decent dynamic IEM's at around £80-£90. Having said that you could look at passive noise attenuating IEM's as you have a decent budget and IEM's tend to stop a decent amount of noise.

Final choice here will depend on what you want to listen to - The Blackbox i10 are warm and bass heavy and should work well with typical workout music. A minority of people actually listen to calming music whilst excercising, for acoustic these would work well but here are some choices for more balanced IEM's with a cooler more precise sound whilst still having great isolation -

Etymotic hf3 In-Ear Isolating Earphones for iPhone in Black
    £119.95

Audéo PFE 132 Perfect Fit In-Ear Headphones with Mic & Controls
    £179.99

Shure SE315 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Black (SE 315)
    £134.95
    with the Shures you will also need this to control the iPhone
    Shure CBL-M+-K Music Phone Adapter Cable 142cm (CBL-M+-K)
    £43.96

Hope that helps:)

3. cinek

cinek New Member

thanks, what would you recommend in terms of headphones? My budget for that would be up to lets say £300. I need them to work with my iphone (volume, mic and answer button)

4. Letoo

Letoo New Member

Soundmagic E10M are a decent pair but they are super cheap and that might scare you of. (but I am yet to find headphones with better quality/price ratio.)

Worth checking out tho, they do work with an iphone pretty well.