Looking for good earphones for £125

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by garethj, Sep 15, 2011.

1. garethj

garethj New Member

Hi
    I’m looking for a good set of earphone that would be good listening to music on the go and for playing games on portable systems. The type of music I mainly listen to is stuff like the Beatles, David Bowie, The Kinks and The Doors.

My budget is £150

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. wutian

wutian New Member

beats by dre is OK

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Garethj

I would suggest steering entirely clear of all things DrDre and beats related. They are overpriced rubbish and actually worse quality than some products that could be considered ripoffs. When I asked Hewlett packard what made the Beats laptops special and good for music - They could not answer this question , they could not even say whether it was software or hardware based.

Can I ask you a few questions about your usage?

Will these be for at home or are you planning on taking them everywhere with you?:)

4. garethj

garethj New Member

I would be using them mainly when i'm on the trains

5. RobinHiFi

Well closed backs are the obvious choice, that or IEMs - I will stick to full size and on ears.

Fanny Wang On Ear Wangs Premium Closed Back Headphones Red
    £99.95- Forget the Beats, these are better made and also sound a lot better! Genuinely better, I did a test with these and the similar beats model with a couple of Audio journalists and we were shocked at how much better the Fanny Wangs. They produce a likeable contemporary sound with a bit of a smile curve but work well for most genres

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)
    £119.95- These are much more Hifi - I would probably go for these as they are just about perfect. Full size cups but they fold, really nice balanced sound, lightweight, comfy and the S Logic gives a really impressive sound stage.

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
    £99.95- These are somewhere between the other two, warm but a bit more Hifi that the Wangs. They don't really fold though.

Let me know what you think of these and ask any questions which might help with a decision:D

6. garethj

garethj New Member

Do any of these headphones have faux-leather if not is there any good headphones with faux-leather for around the same price.

Also which of the headphones would be best to play music from the 60s and 70s like the Beatles, the Guess Who, Jefferson Airplane and Led Zeppelin?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  7. RobinHiFi

Both the Ultrasone HFi580 and the Denon D1100 have the type of pads you mean (If you mean Pleather) and would work for the music you like. The difference is the Denons are warm and smooth with shorter sound stage whereas the HFi580 are lighter and brighter, more open sounding with a bigger further back sound stage. Let your own taste guide you for the decision.