Looking for good headphones

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by stevewhiterod, Jan 27, 2013.

1. stevewhiterod

stevewhiterod New Member

Looking for good headphones for around £230

Hi i am looking to buy my first pair of decent headphones. will be using them with a cd walkman as cant take mp3 player to work with me looking to spend around £230 but could possibly stretch to £250.
    Will be listening to the likes of calvin harris, owl city,usher,coldplay.
    Will only be using them at work at night or at home.
    Was looking at beyerdynamics dt880 premium but willing to look at other suggestions.

Please help.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

The DT880 is a wonderful headphone, don't get me wrong, but being open back it may not suit your environment the best. Also I think it takes some decent amplification to really get your money's worth. It's not terrible straight out of a portable like the AKG K701 is but still not fantastic ime. If you think that you might like to isolate your music a bit better from any surrounding background noise then I can recommend a few there. The Beyerdynamic DT770 is good closed back headphone, but not exactly like the DT880. It would help to know what kind of presentation that you like and want from these headphones. How do you like bass, midrange and treble fir example. How much emphasis would you put on comfort?

3. stevewhiterod

stevewhiterod New Member

As i work alone i think i could use open or closed back.I like my bass but not so much that it overpowers everything else.I am not to sure about the mid range and treble as these would be my first headphones so not too sure what i like. Comfort wise they have to be at least comfortable to wear for 5 hours upwards as i work 11 hour shifts.

4. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

That's a good start. I think comfort is going to have to be very good for those lengths of time. Many can get bothersome for much over an hour, some people will say something is perfectly comfortable when they take them off every 20 minutes anyway.

I will throw out a recommendation of the SoundMAGIC HP100 first because it fits nicely with your thoughts on bass, although they are only £170, they are very hard to beat in that area. They are also very comfortable! The DT880 is a tiny bit more comfortable because the driver is bit deeper and is thus less likely to contact with your ears (my ears stick out quite far). The HP100 has very nice soft fake leather pads that go completely around the ear, but the soft velour ones on the DT880 are arguably nicer and the open back driver will stop your ears from getting hot too. The clamping force of both is quite light, which is great. Both have really great comfort but the DT880 wins in this arena, just.

The HP100 cups can rotate about a million different ways, but in my mind is a bit overkill and tends to flop around a lot. The DT880 by comparison hardly flexes, rather than rotates, but is no less easier to get a comfortable fit and because of it's simple yet clever build it feels like it will take more abuse. Plus when parts go on a Beyer every little bit can be replaced.

Sound wise the DT880 does have a bit of bass body (it's got way more than an AKG K701 for example), although it's not as deep and certainly not as smooth as the HP100. Bass on either headphone could not be described as overblown by anyone's standards, I think. Detail is good on both, the DT880 is a bit more edgy, some say a little artificially so, but I still love it.

OK one more thought is the cable. The SoundMAGIC has a 1.2m coiled rubber cable, which stretches out to about 2m realistically, it apparently will go to 4m, but I find pretty much any pulling on it will drag your equipment accross the table unless you're connecting it to a massive, heavy hifi separate. The DT880 has a straight plastic 3m cable. Both are quite thick and not fantastic for portable use, but the HP100 cable is removable and has a locking mechanism. I know they have a straight 1.2m cable because that's what I've just got on the open back SoundMAGIC HP200 (which I've just started to play with).

OK that's a lot of babble about only 2 headphones, but they are two that I love and will never ever sell, so I hope that is of some use. I'm sure some other people can think of a couple more suggestions. I haven't heard many GermanMAESTRO headphones but one of those seems like they might suit you.

Some other favourites of mine, that could suit you, are:

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35D (Great but questions on comfort)
    Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition (fun sounding, but I love this one too)
    Denon AH-D2000 (More comfy than the DT880, warm and detailed, but is hard to find)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. stevewhiterod

stevewhiterod New Member

Thanks for the help I'm leaning towards the dt880

6. stevewhiterod

stevewhiterod New Member

So i have ordered the DT880's should arrive tommorrow cant wait, thanks for your help quadpatch.

7. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

You're welcome Steve :). I hope you enjoy your first 'decent' headphones and please do let us know what you think when you get them, or perhaps when you've had a little time to get used to them.

I'm sorry that this is a bit late and I don't know if you've seen this before, but here is a full review that I wrote for the DT880. It's just more of what I said before, but since you're are waiting for yours to arrive I thought you might like to look over this to swoon in the mean time.

Noble Hi-Fi: Beyerdynamic: DT880 Premium - 600ohm - review