Looking for good open headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wizzard99, Feb 9, 2014.

1. wizzard99

wizzard99 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I'm looking for some good open headphones that can run from my home amp, a headphone amp (probably going to be an O2) connected to computer via a Fiio X3 in USB DAC mode.

I'd also like to be able to use them directly off the Fiio X3 but am willing to amp that solution if necessary.

Currently looking at AKG K701 or Fidelio X1 but want some advice.

I have a pair of Goldring DR150's that I love so I am looking for a headphone that takes the basic sonic character of the DR150's but improves on it. In particular I am looking to gain better soundstaging, with improved refinement , resolution and transparency.
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Looking toward the K701 is about double the price of the DR150, yes? Here's a list of what this site's store sells, and the headphones I'd personally recommend looking at are the Beyer DT880, Soundmagic HP200, and Sennheiser HD600. From my contacts with audiophiles all over the world, the HD600 is more recommended for true neutrality and detail - the parameters you mentioned. Note that soundstage is not a feature unto itself, but depends heavily on a full treble as well as neutral mids, and many headphones today - even some premium models - are a bit lacking in having a full but smooth treble.

Tell me what you think...

Open Back Headphones
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Great suggestions.. Especially the HD600!

Another headphone worth looking at is the GermanMAESTRO GMP400