Looking for isolating In-ear 's budget £200

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by TheTribe, Sep 20, 2012.

1. TheTribe

TheTribe New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a fairly decent pair of in-ear isolating headphones to be used with an Ipod classic and Nano (6th gen) at the gym. I did have the shure SE115's but they just died and loved how they sounded, perfect for me good isolation, warm sounding good bass but not overpowering and well balanced for the price. The only thing missing I felt was the symbols sometimes felt a bit flat at the high-end but Im not a fan of too crisp trebles and would much rather it not be there than be there and harsh.

So Im wanting more of the same just a few steps up the ladder, balanced whole sounding same level of isolation and plenty of depth. Music I listen to is mostly either metal + sub-genres/electronic + sub-genres with some acoustic to relax to. Metal,Trance, DnB, rock, house, pop, acoustic and piano.

Budget is flexible if there's going to be a large difference in quality of sound, clarity depth etc I don't know at what point you need an amp and my library isn't lossless but high qual VBR lame encoded mp3 or 256kbs VBR istore downloads. I figure compression will be noticable with a more expensive pair.

Sorry a bit long winded

CHeers

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

3. TheTribe

TheTribe New Member

Hi

Thanks for some excellent suggestions!

The SoundMAGIC's look too good to be missed wich makes a tough decision. Is there anything notable about the Shure SE315, SE415 compared to the SE215's I did have a glance at the SE535's wich look great but geared towards professional use, over a casual ipod user and a little bit over budget.

What do Westone's fit and isolate like? the foam tips with the Shures did a good job with isolation but perhaps not as comfy as the westone tips??

Generally speaking Is there a big difference between the SoundMAGIC's at £35 and in-ears at £100 it sounds like they pack the punch of a £100 pair with a sub £50 tag :)

Many Thanks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. RobinHiFi

The SoundMAGIC E10 is frighteningly good for its tiny pricetag. I would almost prefer this to spending the extra on the Shure - The SE425 is excellent though (315 is pretty good) and good value at its price. Probably should have put the SE425 in that list too:)

Shure SE425 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Silver (SE 425)
    £199.96

5. TheTribe

TheTribe New Member

Hi Robin Thanks

Sold with the SoundMAGIC's, Im going to order them either way got a mate who wants a pair they'll be ideal and ill get to try em out. :D

That just leaves me torn between whether to buy the SE425's or the Westone's UM2's as my primary pair both are smack on my budget. How does the sound signature differ between the two? guessing they will be fairly similar. The only thing putting me off the UM2's is they've been around a fair time but maybe I should be reading that as a good thing.

6. RobinHiFi

For your taste in music the Shures will almost certainly be better. Although they are both excellent earphones the SE425 is a better fit to contemporary sounds whereas the UM2s work better with less contemporary organic sounds. The SE425 will definitely work better with the metal and contemporary electronic music.:)