Looking for studio headphones for hiphop, grime and dubstep production

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by cable_productions, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cable_productions

cable_productions New Member

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a pair of high-quality studio headphones, I have a small studio setup in the bedroom, I use an iMac, an MBox and Samson Rubicon R6a active ribbon monitors. As I usually only have time to mix late at night, I have realised that I need headphones, that match and translate well to the frequency response of my monitors.

As I produce and mix Hip-Hop, Grime and Dubstep, I want to hear accurate detail in all frequencies, especially in bass areas. I was using a pair of Sony's MDR-V150's which translated well to my monitors, for such a cheap price.

Looking through reviews, these have been getting a mention - Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990, and AKG K702 - it seems like open backs are the way forward for mixing, but I would like some advice what headphones (those mentioned or otherwise) would be the most suitable for my purpose.

Also, as I have a MBox, does this still mean that I need to buy a dedicated headphone amp for these high-end models, the top end of my price range is £200, and that would be pushing it (got to clear it with the missus!) but I would be only willing to pay £100-150 if I had to buy a headphone amp as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
    Cable

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi cable_productions

I would go for these

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Semi-Open Headphones 250Ω (DT 880)
    £194.95

These are really accurate - it is what Dolby use as mix headphones - Despite the quite high impedance I think you will find your Sound card will be perfectly adequate as they are not that hard to drive. The AKG K702 can sometimes be found on line pretty cheap but these require a serious studio headphone amp to sound accurate for mix and that will cost. HD650 are not accurate enough (despite what Sound on Sound say), their bottom end is far too squishy for use in a difficult mix or with big bass lines.

There is a 32ohm version which is just a little bit more dynamic but still very accurate:)

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator