Looking for well isolating (both ways!) headphones for travel

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by juahan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. juahan

juahan New Member

I've now looking for a contender for PSB M4U-2 before I make my final decision.

The headphones would be mainly for use out of home, meaning use at work, during travel and even just walking to work or shop.

Would be driven mainly from iPhone, Galaxy S3 or other portable devices and also from Fiio E17.

I already would have bought PSB M4U-2, but ANC is still slightly odd for me. Now I'm trying to see, if there would be an alternative for it. I'm lookin well isolating headphones and by isolating I mean both ways, it needs to keep outside noise out for my listening pleasure and my music in for the pleasure of people sitting next to me in the airplane for example.

Small size is not very important for me, but if it doesn't compromise anything, smaller size is always more handy for travelling. I also like headphones in which the whole ear goes into the cup, not the ones that stay on the ear.

Budget is around 300£, but of course lower is always better if it doesn't compromise sound quality.

Any suggestions?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

This is, in my humble opinion, the best bet anywhere near £300 for proper fit, high sound quality, and reasonable isolation. Some of the others around £300 may sound as good, but the HP100 goes around the ears with no issues, great comfort etc. I can't think of a reason not to recommend it unless the isolation were not high enough. This category of headphone doesn't have as high an isolation as some of the in-ear IEMs, which in turn block noise slightly less than the electronic noise cancelers. So only a familiarity with this type of isolation and how that works in your actual environment will tell you for certain.

SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)

3. juahan

juahan New Member

I have to look into that. I do have IEMs (Phonak Audeo) already and they are very good, but sometimes I'm still missing the proper "headphone feel".

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi juahan,

I'd have to agree with dalethorn on this one, the SoundMAGIC HP100 is really impressive!

If you like the idea of a warmer overall sound then you can take a look at the Sennheiser Momentum headphones. They are very comfortable and they are a smaller size, perfect for travelling.