Metal/Screamo/Post-Hardcore Headphones?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by mattranger, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mattranger

mattranger New Member

I'm looking for some headphones and/or earphones for a budget of £200. I listen to heavy modern rock and metal (e.g. Black Veil Brides, Yashin, Parkway Drive, Asking Alexandria etc) and i was wondering if there is any cans that suit that style? I've heard that most modern bands (of those genres) are recorded really poorly, but even so, i was eager to see what you guys know? I currently use JVC HAFX1X 'Xtreme Xplosives' earphones for my iPod nano and they're OTT bassy and have non-existent mids and tinny treble BUT they do somewhat compliment the double kick bass. I know how cheap these earphones are, so I'm looking forward to seeing what £200 worth can do.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Matt :)

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's a couple items from the big list I have, which are "dark" enough to do the job. I have a couple others from that same list that are just too bright, and playing some of my own metal tracks (i.e. Enslaved, etc.) they would burn my ears out.

But if you can stretch up a little higher in the ££, the Sennheiser Momentum is sooooo much better. Someone here might be getting a demo headphone soon, but there are reviews in the reviews section.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Back Studio Headphones

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Closed Back Monitor Headphones with Coiled C

3. mattranger

mattranger New Member

Thanks ever so much, ive looked at the GM and i really like the retro look to them, especially if i were to take them to college and back. However, reviews of the sound quality sounds like nothing spectacular (unlike the Senns). the look of the Momentums are great, so i think i might make my wage go a little further and go for those. another quick question, what impedance to the Senns have? chances are ill be using them with my iphone and possibly with a Fiio E05/06 amp.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum is 18 ohms, and plays well with everything. I could tell you how good they sound to me, but someone would think I'm exaggerating. I currently have the Shure 1840, the Momentum, the ATH ESW9a, Phiaton 300 and 400, and a v-moda M100 enroute. I don't see anything dislodging the Momentum from my #1 position anytime soon. It sounds great from an iPod, spectacular from FiiO E17 or PA2V2, and from the Dragonfly or Audioengine D1 - well, that's the unbelievable part.

I found something interesting this past week - something many others discovered long before me. I always wondered how it is some people can really hear differences between different amplifiers, which should all be ruler flat from top to bottom. Then I downloaded a copy of Mahler's First symphony from the Blue Coast site, played on the Momentum and D1, and now I know. The Momentum is a good investment in the future.

5. marcusd

marcusd Member

You need solid mids for metal and articulate highs for solo work - anything recessed is not going to work.

Grado is a fantastic metal can - something like the sr225i will fit in the budget but some enjoy the more sparky 325i for metal.

They have a bucket load of retro looks to them also

[​IMG]