More advice needed please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by johnnyboy, Mar 16, 2013.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

I posted earlier about getting some new phones , it appears my budget has significantly increased to £130 maximum . I want to get a pair of over ear closed back headphones . They would be primarily be used with a ipod touch 4th gen , a google nexus 4 , a bog standard laptop and a marantz cr601 . Comfort is very important I don't need thumping bass . My musical taste is varied , it would be easier to say I dont like heavy metal and modern dance . My favourite band is steely dan followed closely by De La Soul !! After lots of research on various sites I am leaning towards the AKG K271 mkii , but the main reason for this post is to hear from experts to where I should be looking . Thanks for any advice forthcoming

Regards
    John

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I started out reading the 84 Amazon U.S. reviews on the 271 mkII - very mixed reviews, with many issues of breakage, and the issue of turning off at the wrong time due to the auto-off feature. This DT770 is the only thing I can think of that's similar in capability, but with none of the issues noted in those reviews.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones (DT 770) - Professional Studio

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Hi Dale ,
    thanks for the quick reply , regarding the 770s would an ipod drive these ok without an amp and I thought these were very bass heavy ? , I'm not an audiophile by any means just want the best phones for my budget
    Regards

John

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The DT770 has a warmer sound than the 271, but it's not bassy. I have bassy headphones like the v-moda M100, but the 770 is not like that. But since you expressed the concern, the only way you're really going to know how your perception compares to mine (or anyone else's) is to google up some reviews. The 770 80 ohm may work with ipods, but the maximum volume may not be enough on some music tracks.

5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Ideally I would like any choice of phones to be able to be driven by portable media players. Would the 770 32 ohms be a better choice?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Yes - I have the 32 ohm version which works well.

7. johnnyboy

johnnyboy New Member

Looks like the 32 ohms are out of my price range and from all the reviews I have been looking at mention the bass , any idea if the Audio- Technica ATH-A500X would cut it for me ?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I searched 100 sites or more on Google, and the A500x seems to have been a Japan import only for awhile, just making it to the U.S. for the first time, don't know how long in the U.K. But based on the very limited reviews, I'd say go for it. I bought two AT's on Japan import without hearing them first, and I've been very happy with them.